The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 13, 2011, 02:25 AM   #1
TheKlawMan

Early shot cup

I thought this from Popular Science is kind of interesting as I suppose it introduces the precurser to the plastic wad. http://books.google.com/books?id=3yE...page&q&f=false
Old July 13, 2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for the memories.

When these came out,we had only Full choke guns around. We learned to use cheap old style loads for the first shot and these for followups.

This was pre lead ban and 6s were great for Ringnecks, Woodies and Teal. 4s were for Mallards, 8s for Quail and Dove.

Modern ammo is so much better than the stuff we used before the Mark 5 that I use an IC or LM choke instead of Full out to 35 yards.
Old July 13, 2011, 02:38 PM   #3
BigJimP

..... sure brings back good memories ....
Old July 13, 2011, 03:10 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

I am not sure, but think the Mark 5 ammo is what I shot when I had an inexpensive Stevens SxS when I must have been about 15. All I knew about shotguns then was you pull the trigger and it goes boom. Come to think of it, that is all I know now.
Old July 13, 2011, 04:48 PM   #5
zippy13

The pre-grey-bread crowd may not appreciate what a quantum leap it was to go from paper hulls with card and fiber wads to plastic hulls with one-piece wads. Back in the day, the new, more consistent, loads caused competitive scores to skyrocket and gave cleaner kills in the field. And, when shooting in damp conditions, jammed guns (because of swollen paper hulls) were history.

Tags
polyethylene collar , shot collar , shot shell wad