The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 1999, 11:35 PM   #1
don leo

I just started reloading, and have been reloading only for .357 magnum. I've purchased H110, WW296, and 2400 for reloading, since they're all recommended highly. The problem is, although CCI 550 Small Pistol MAGNUM primers are recommended for the H110 and WW296, I reloaded 16.9 grains of 2400 with Hornady 125 grain jacketed hollowpoints using the CCI 550's. I haven't been able to find much data on the mixing of the 550's with 2400. I've made about 100 rounds and I'm wondering whether this batch has to be discarded. Any thoughts appreciated. RobertThe41MagFan, help !
Old December 13, 1999, 01:00 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Without knowing which gun you will be shooting those rounds in, it is impossible to give a definite answer. However, in general it is ok to standardize on magnum primers with most .357 Magnum loads especially the slower powders like you are using. Some manuals like Lyman #47 list CCI 550's for all .357M loads. 16.9 gr of 2400 is a medium to high load, depending on which manual you read. So you should be safe if, and only if, you are using a modern strong revolver or rifle. After firing the first round, you should examine the shell for pressure signs.

One bit of advice I would give is to load a small number of rounds when you are working up new loads. If you fired one or two out of your 100 and found excessive pressure signs, you would have wasted a lot of money or would waste at least a lot of time pulling the bullets out to reload. Also, it is always wise to start off on the light side of the listed loads instead of in the middle. You would be surprised how much of a difference in pressure a particular load will produce in one gun compared to another. And the same thing goes for one particular loader vs. another. You might crimp differently, load with a shorter OAL, etc., etc.
Old December 13, 1999, 02:28 AM   #3
Robert the41MagFan

Maximum load for a Jacketed 125 grain bullet over 2400 and using magnum primers is 17.7 grains. That is also a factory duplication. So, you are below maximum. Shoot the loads you have made.

I am not a fan of magnum primers in general. Have just about every modern handgun cartridge made and like to keep things as simple as possible, don't want to deal with magnum and non magnum primers. Also, I like using Oregon Trail Cast bullets (the silver bullets) and their bullet guru told me not to use magnum primers with their bullets. There is some chemical compatibility problem. Have some friends to that have been reloading since the time of Jefferson and they have told me not to use magnum primers. I go with the flow and don't use them either.

Hunted lots with Hornady bullets too. Although they performed as advertised, hard and deep penetration. The wound channels are too small and clean. Making tracking almost impossible. The bullets also disintegrates after penetrating 18" or so. I am sticking with cast bullets from now on when hunting.

Robert
Old December 17, 1999, 02:05 PM   #4
Paul B.

Don. I go along with Robertthe41Magfan. Most manuals say to use magnum primers with H-110 and WW-296, while some say do, and others say not necessary, for #2400. Maybe so, but I use WW-296 in .44 Mag., and I haven't used a mag primer yet.
I don't use jacketed bullets in either .357 or .44 mag's either. A good hard cast lead bullets does all I'll ever need for game or target shooting. The only time you'll find jacketed ammo in my .357 is when it does house defense duty.
Are mag primers a mistake? I think not. If you worked up your load with them, they,re fine. I use Winchester primers. The boxes are marked "for STANDARD or MAGNUM pistol loads." I imagine they are a bit hotter than standard primers, but not quite as hot as magnum primers. They work for me.
Paul B.
Old December 17, 1999, 02:24 PM   #5
TheOtherMikey

Hey, Don Leo, you are going to be needing a loader's manual. Compared to the big buck you laid out for the press, primers, and powder, you really ought to have few spare bucks to keep from blowing yourself up.
Think of your load bood as life insurance for you, anyone using your ammo, and anybody happning to walk by when the gun blows up. A very puzzled Mikey.
Old December 19, 1999, 08:19 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

It's 1F outside this morning.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND mag primers........

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old December 19, 1999, 07:46 PM   #7
danm

A couple years ago I called up Hodgdon to
ask just this question, specifically for the
H110 powder. Their reply, in my words, is to
ALWAYS use a magnum primer with H110. I have
followed their recommendation.

DanM
Old December 20, 1999, 09:19 PM   #8
ML

The first time I used H110 I made up some .357 loads with 125 gr. JHPs and used CCI No. 500 small pistol primers. I ended up with a with a bullet lodged in the barrel of my 686. There appeared to be a partial ignition of the powder in the case with the unburnt powder fused together still in the spent case. I called Hodgdon and they indicated that you should always use magnum primers with H110 in .357 loads. I made the same load again only this time I used CCI 550 small pistol magnum primers and the load shot great. I still use the CCI 500s(non-magnum) primers when I make light .357 loads with W231 but will be inclined to use mag primers with slower burning powders.

Good Luck
Old December 20, 1999, 09:39 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

ML, I had exactly the same thing happen to me with a 4" GP-100. Same bullet type, same powder, sama primer. I would listen to what the powder manufacturers say and not to what the primer fans say. However, like Paul B., I have never had a problem with Win Large Pistol primers with any powder. I have standardized on them for all LP loads. I still say it is ok to standardize on magnum primers in the .357 Magnum. Assuming you do your loading work properly and carefully, you won't have any problems with them.
Old December 21, 1999, 01:59 AM   #10
zot

yeah I wonder about HS-6? all slow burning
ball powders used in mag loads, which use alot of powder needs that extra long flame to
get it going, 231 if ya use mag primers will
raise pressure fast, Speer has said to quit usingmag primers with 231 and 2400, and some in blue dot,Speer rewrote alot of their loads
on the .357 because of higher PSI to CUP
deveations, I allways use mag primes with 296
good high fps and pressure ok.
Old December 24, 1999, 12:36 AM   #11
ga41

Have loaded for about 20 yrs and have always used std Fed primers with my 20-22 gr load of H110 in my 41's. No problems ,but I am interested to see if I am losing velocity with not having mag primers(will ck and see on next loads)( I know load down and work up). Also have loaded max load in 357 with H110 nad 180gr bullets. I am fairly certain that this one underperforms due to std primers (nonmag).But it does go bang everytime