The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 3, 2001, 09:41 AM   #1
johnwill

Nambu Type 14 (gun of the day)

Here's a nice Nambu 14, the early version with the small trigger guard.

Old August 3, 2001, 10:45 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Did anyone see the big article in one of the gunzines about that pistol? The pics showed a broken off safety, but the writer was too ignorant to notice it or mention it.

Yours is nice, Johnwill. You must have gotten there before most of us on this stuff.

Jim
Old August 4, 2001, 09:12 AM   #3
johnwill

I didn't see that article, but it doesn't surprise me that gun writer missed it. There are a few knowledgeable writers, and a whole lot of clueless ones.

As far as getting there first, I just keep my eye out and trade up whenever I can. All it takes is a lot of money!
Old August 5, 2001, 12:03 PM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

NAMBU:
Comparing your photo with the one I have, your NAMBU is the Model "B" or baby Nambu.

Which was developed concurrently with the larger Model "A", apparently for purchase by senior officers as a badge of rank. Made to the same general design as the Model "A", but somwhat smaller, it chambered a 7mm bottle necked cartridge. Production began about 1909-10 in Koishikawa arsenal, continuing until the early part of 1923. It is beleived that work was then transferred to the Tokyo Gas & Electric Co, where about 500 more were made. Early Model "B" guns had wooden magazine buttoms, a pinched in-cocking knob and a single diameter firing pin. After about 450 had been made, the magazine base became aluminium and the cocking knob was rounded and the multiple diameter firing pin was used. the Baby Nambu never achieved the popularity that had been hoped for, since it was almost twice the price of comparable importe pistols.

Last edited by Harley Nolden; August 5, 2001 at 07:31 PM.
Old August 5, 2001, 05:18 PM   #5
johnwill

Harley, I'm afraid you're mistaken about mine being the Baby Nambu. I would be immensely pleased if it were the Baby, because one in really good condition is bringing $3000 or more! I passed up a chance to bid on a Baby Nambu over in Auction Arms several months back, and it sold for $2200, I was bummed!

Mine pictured here is the early type 14, before they enlarged the trigger guard for use with gloves.
Old August 5, 2001, 07:47 PM   #6
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Taking another look at my information and photos, there is a difference between yours and the Model "B". Although similar the bolt or cocking piece on the rear are different. I did research farther and found the following information.

Your pistol is defined as the 14th Year type Nambu Pistol T/14
It is similar to the 4th year type but without a grip safetyand with grooved grips and a larger trigger guard.Mfg'd until 1945 Early guns have a small trigger guard. Later models have a much larger trigger guard.

The guns are dated beginning of trhe reign of Hirohito (sho-wa Period which started in 1925. Thus 3.12 means 1928-Dec and 19.5 means 1944-May

May I apologize for my lack of attention to detail.

HJN
Old August 5, 2001, 08:20 PM   #7
johnwill

No problem, I was just wishing that your comment would go from your mouth to God's ear! I'd love to have the Baby, but my wife would have a baby too if I bought one!
Old August 5, 2001, 10:48 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Type 14 never had a grip safety in the front like the earlier pistols. Also it has a somewhat different takedown system and two recoil springs rather than the single spring of its predecessors. It also has a manual safety (the 180 degree lever shown in the picture) where the Baby and Papa do not. The little button on those guns is sometimes taken for a safety by those who have only seen pictures, but it is actually the retainer for the firing pin release lever.

Jim
Old August 6, 2001, 05:51 PM   #9
johnwill

The little button on mine is the mag release!

Oh, you mean the little button on the cocking knob, yep, that's the firing pin release catch. Makes you wonder why they had to have the firing pin so convenient to remove, maybe the stories about them breaking are true!