The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 1, 2013, 12:27 PM   #1
larryf1952

Ballpark value of 1967 "T" Series Hi Power?

A good friend of mine recently told me that he owned a "9mm pistol", but that he had not shot it for many years. I did not know that he even owned a gun, but we were discussing a recent purchase that I had made, and he mentioned this gun.

After a lunch together recently, he brought out what turned out to be a 1967 T series Browning Hi Power, fixed sights, round hammer, blue finish. Inscription on the left side of the slide reads, "Browning Arms Company St. Louis Mo. & Montreal P.Q. Made in Belgium" The gun has some minor perspiration pitting on the front and backstraps, some very minor rust "dusting" in the slide finger grooves, a spot of rust on the mag, and some very minor bluing wear at the muzzle. Grips panels are excellent. Overall, the gun is in great shape, and I'd class it as an easy 90% or 92%.

He's not mentioned that he's looking to sell it, but he gave the gun to me and asked me to clean it up. It's very dirty on the inside, but the gun is tight and mechanically sound. I've never owned a BHP, and I need another 9mm like I need a hole in the head, but I thought I might make him a reasonable offer, as he is older, no longer shoots and could use the cash. I've been doing some research on the web, and the prices that I have found for these guns seem to run anywhere between $500 and $1000, so I figured I'd ask the guys who likely have a lot more experience with BHP's than I do.

What would be a ballpark value on this gun?

Old March 1, 2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Chesster

I have bought two of these in a bit better shape, no obvious rust or pits, over the past 5 years in the 550-650 range.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 1, 2013, 08:30 PM   #3
car

I would put it at about $600-$650. With Brownings, condition is everything to the value.

Browning collectors usually want mint guns in the original boxes, then the price skyrockets. Brownings with even a moderate amount of wear are considered as shooters, but still bring a good buck.

BTW, that HP is very nice. I have one made in the same year that is in about the same condition, it's a wonderful shooting pistol, especially after removing the magazine safety. I consider the 1960's T series the best years for the High Powers.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:56 PM   #4
spanishjames

A good friend? Offer him $600.00, and you'll feel good about it if he accepts. Just an aquaintance, offer him $500.00.
Old March 1, 2013, 10:19 PM   #5
Rainbow Demon

I don't much cotton to the idea of removing a magazine disconnect safety feature, only because someone years from now might end up buying the pistol and not realize that that feature has been removed.

If possible one might do well to have a warning inscribed on the frame. It could prevent an accident, and perhaps a liability lawsuit against whoever might sell the pistol at some later date.

Even if one intends to keep the pistol from now on, we never know when it will become part of an estate sale when we've gone to our reward.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:54 AM   #6
rs97

Quote:
I've never owned a BHP, and I need another 9mm like I need a hole in the head
That's a contradictory statement.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:09 PM   #7
larryf1952

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. From the info that I had gathered, I was inclined to believe the gun was worth somewhere in the $550 range...at least to me. But, then I saw a similar pistol listed on Gunbroker for $1395! Of course, it didn't sell despite multiple relistings. I've also found a few at around $800.

I had considered buying it and refinishing it, but I doubt that I'd do that. I'd likely just keep it as a shooter and maintain it in the condition that it's in. It sure does feel good in the hand!

I think I'll swing him an offer of $550 and see if he bites. Thanks again!

Larry
Old March 2, 2013, 12:35 PM   #8
Skans

I'd say that gun would sell for about $750 +/- on Gunbroker.
Old March 2, 2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Chesster

The passions of the inexperienced often drive the pricing of auctions.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 2, 2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Deaf Smith

This gun sounds like a perfect thing to send to Cylinder & Slide Co. to jazz up into a super carry gun.

Yea $600 would be a good price and then add $600 more and VOLA!!!! You won't believe your eyes when they finish with it.

I picked up a P-35, MKIII, excellent condition with box,, papers, and two Bill Clinton 10 shot mags (with mouse trap bottoms) for $590, tax INCLUDED.

So the earlier one you have would be higher except for no box, papers, and some rust. Still $600 at least for it.

Deaf
Old March 2, 2013, 07:52 PM   #11
WVsig

This is a $500 gun IMHO. It shows signs of pitting/rusting on the grip. It does not have a ton of collector value due to this wear. I might make a good base gun for a custom job as long as you do not plan on shooting a lot +P ammo out of the gun.

Value also depends on what the gun comes with.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:59 PM   #12
Walt Sherrill

For reasons I don't fully understand, the T-series guns seem to always bring a premium of 15% or more over other models of the same period.

The ring hammer and external extractor (post '62 manufacture) adds another 25% to the value and if it had a ring hammer and internal extractor -- it doesn't -- the value would increase by 50%. If you have the original black pouch it came in, that adds $25 - $50 to the value. (If you figure the base gun is $450 - $550, plus another 15%+25%, that's $600-$800. If a buyer was into BHPs, maybe more.)

The finish on that gun looks pretty good, and some of the marks can probably be rubbed out.

If the seller was a real friend, I'd probably offer $700 and tell him its a fine gun...that it might be worth a bit more, but that was about all I could pay. And if he accepts, give him the money and your thanks. If he refuses, you've done a friend a favor. If he's just an acquaintance, offer him $600 with a clear conscience -- as you're not really harming him.

(I have a T-series with the ring hammer and internal extractor, but have replaced a damaged factory barrel with an EFK Firedragon barrel. It shoots at least as well as the factory barrel and didn't cost $400+. Mine has had the rear sight dovetail recut, so that is no longer stock.. I have the black pouch and a "repro" user's manual.)
Old March 2, 2013, 08:19 PM   #13
larryf1952

I'm not sure, as I have not asked, but I'd be surprised if my friend had a box or anything else for this gun. If he did, I'm sure that he couldn't find it, as he is a borderline hoarder. He keeps the gun rolled up in a sock and stuffed into a dresser. He loaned the gun to his son some years ago, who took all of his ammo, shot it up and returned his dirty gun, sans ammo. He hasn't shot the gun, nor had any ammo for it since then.

Aside from the perspiration pitting, the gun really is in good shape, with bright bluing and no scratches or dings. He's more than just an acquaintance, but not in retrospect what I'd really call a "good" friend...my wife works with his wife.

Since there's nothing else with the gun, I think I'll stick with offering him $550 and see what he does. Thanks to everyone for the BHP info!
Old March 3, 2013, 01:36 PM   #14
tipoc

As it's just the gun and the one mag $550. is a fair price on the low end. It actually makes a difference that you're in KCMO. Other parts of the country a fair price would be $600. to $650. for the same gun.

Like Walt says the gun is in good to very good condition. Should be a great shooter. It may even become your favorite 9mm.

Drop by here when you have time for a few ideas...

http://hipowersandhandguns.com/

tipoc