The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 5, 2012, 11:18 AM   #1
TheRaskalKing

Sig 226 vs 229

I've been thinking about picking up a 225 for a long time, but as was recently brought to my attention, a used 226/229 isn't that much more $.

Then I got looking a little more at each model, and it seems to me that the 226 and 229 are virtually the same gun, just the 229 is slightly smaller.

Is there any other real difference between these two guns? Which do you prefer, and why? Please Advise. I know there are a few die-hard sig fans floating around here... Let's hear from you fellas.
Old September 5, 2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Woody55

I don't know if I qualify as a die hard SIG fan, but I have a 226, and I've shot a friend's 229.

The 226 is a large hand gun. The 229 is a little more portable. I shoot better with the 226. Probably because the sight radius is longer.

If I was going to carry one of them (and I wouldn't because IMO they are both to big for me to carry) it would be the 229. If I was going to target shoot or keep it next to my bed, I'd use the 226.

They are both fine weapons albeit kind of expensive.
Old September 5, 2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Mystro

They both are outstanding. I find the P229 the most attractive because it was purposely built for the 40S&W and that is what I use. The 40's out of the P229 feel like 9mm out of a Glock 17. These are heavy, solid guns so the size difference doesnt mean much as far as recoil control. Mine happens to be a tack driver and I would never want any larger of a gun for my needs. The SRT trigger is a "must have" option. It is incredible. This is the only double stack gun that fits my hand as good as a custom 1911. Its become my favorite quickly because it does everything superbly.

Last edited by Mystro; September 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old September 5, 2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Skadoosh

Of course they're different. Size really does have a significance.
Old September 5, 2012, 11:39 AM   #5
TheRaskalKing

Size definitely DOES have a difference. That's why I specified difference other than size, because I'm already aware of that one.

Size matters.
Old September 5, 2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Roland Thunder

I have a Sig P226 E2 and like it a lot. Not sure if the 229 is available wiith an E2 grip, if that is a factor for you. I love the E2 grip on my 226.
Old September 5, 2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Woody55

Quote:
That's why I specified difference other than size, because I'm already aware of that one.
Then unless their is a cost difference, I didn't notice any other.
Old September 5, 2012, 12:50 PM   #8
geetarman

I have a P229 Elite in 9mm and a P226 Elite in .40.

They both shoot fine but I like the P229 better because of size more than anything else.

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 5, 2012, 01:00 PM   #9
BarryLee

Quote:
I have a Sig P226 E2 and like it a lot. Not sure if the 229 is available wiith an E2 grip
I own a P229 with the E2 grips and it is a very nice all around gun. It has become my primary carry gun and I also really enjoy extended range sessions.

If you are looking for used guns be aware that SIG actually sales factory refurbished guns. I saw a refurbished P226 in a LGS the other day and it looked brand new, but was several hundred dollars less.

Also, be aware that SIG has an excellent service plan for used guns including disassembly, replacement springs and new night sights for $145.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomShop/SSP.aspx
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 5, 2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Roland Thunder

Barry,

just curious, were they up front that it was refurbished or did they try to pass it off as new (not sure that would be legal).

The reason I asked is that I bought mine at a lgs for less than what they normally go for but it was sold to me as new. Makes me wonder if I was sold a refurbished one instead.
Old September 5, 2012, 02:08 PM   #11
BarryLee

The place I went was a new little shop in Tucker and they were up front about it. I’m not sure if you have noticed, but SIG installs a little paper band on the grips of all their guns. The pre-owned guns will have a red band that says “Certified Pre-Owned” instead of the new which I believe is black and grey. Now, obviously if someone is intentionally trying to deceive you none of this really matters.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 5, 2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee
The place I went was a new little shop in Tucker and they were up front about it. I’m not sure if you have noticed, but SIG installs a little paper band on the grips of all their guns. The pre-owned guns will have a red band that says “Certified Pre-Owned” instead of the new which I believe is black and grey. Now, obviously if someone is intentionally trying to deceive you none of this really matters.
Mine had the paper band around it for sure. Don't remember the color except it definitley wasn't red and for sure didn't say anything about pre-owned. Maybe my concerns are unfounded. I've always wondered because the plastic box was kind of scuffed up and the price was right, then when you brought that up it made me wonder.

I live in Lawrenceville, so you probably know which LGS I'm referring to, they usually have pretty good prices though, so maybe there is no cause for concern.
Old September 5, 2012, 04:31 PM   #13
BigJimP

No, I don't think there is any difference...except the obvious.. 6/10" longer ....6/10" in overall height ...and barrel in the 626 is 1/2" longer...for the most part, the list prices are the same...like on the elite stainless models in each ...

but then, those are the reasons I like the 226 over the 229 ..../ so I bought the 226 in both 9mm and .40S&W...and I'm happy with both guns ( and then I bought a pair of 239's one in 9mm and one in .40S&W ...because they're very different as well ..single stacks, weight, etc.)...and they're good guns as well...

but 229 vs 226 ...up to you ...
Old September 5, 2012, 04:38 PM   #14
wgsigs

Not sure if it really matters, but the mag wells in the frame are different, possibly affecting the feel of the grips. The P229 mags are wider at the bottom and taper in about 2/3's of the way up while the P226 mags have straight sides. That is why P226 mags will fit in a P229 and stick out of the bottom, but P229 mags will not fit into a P226, besides being a little short.

To me the grip of the P229 feels fatter and the P226 feels longer front to back, but that may just be me. I prefer the feel of the P226, but I actually own both. My P226 is an older model in 9mm while my P229 is in .40, and I personally believe that you won't find a better gun for shooting .40 than the P229.

I am assuming you are talking new guns, but if you were talking used and 9mm, the older (pre-98?) P226s had carbon steel slides while the P229 and newer P226s have stainless steel slides. I won't get into differences there because that usually turns into a religious war.

Last edited by wgsigs; September 5, 2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: added personal opinion
Old September 5, 2012, 05:02 PM   #15
MonsterB

I have a new 229(april 2012, extreme model with Hogue grips) which I compared to my buddy,s much older 226 from Germany. Im not sure when his was made, but I think he said around 1990 or so. Anyways, the only difference we could find was the 226's slide was about 1/2" longer. Grip looked identical, in length anyway. I was amazed and was wondering why make a gun so close in size? Seem to be very similar guns to me. Mine is the best, of course
Old September 5, 2012, 05:33 PM   #16
wgsigs

Quote:
Anyways, the only difference we could find was the 226's slide was about 1/2" longer. Grip looked identical, in length anyway. I was amazed and was wondering why make a gun so close in size? Seem to be very similar guns to me.
The P226 is also 0.10" higher, probably all in the grip, than the P229. The P226 was originally designed to shoot 9mm and compete in the U.S. Military 1911-replacement trials in the mid-'80s. The P229 was originally designed in the early '90s specifically to shoot .40 S&W and was the first SIG with a milled stainless steel slide to handle the higher pressures. The P228 (which is basically the same size as the P229) was already out by then so I guess SIG chose the size of the P228 over the slightly larger P226 on which to base the P229.

The real question is why did SIG come out with the P228 the size that it is because it came before the P229 and is suppose to be the "compact" version of the P226?

Last edited by wgsigs; September 5, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old September 5, 2012, 07:07 PM   #17
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Which do you prefer, and why?
For an all around gun---229. For dedicated HD/duty, 226. Both are great guns; it's tough to go wrong here.
Old September 5, 2012, 08:39 PM   #18
bamaranger

229 v. 226 and slide types

The primary difference is the one of dimensions. The P229 is a tad smaller and mag capacity drops accordingly.

But....early P226's had a stamped and pinned slide which made them a bit lighter than the current milled slide versions. So a milled slide P226 in 9mm, in my mind, is a bit heavier than it needs to be. In .40, the milled slide is a requirement with the higher energy cartridge. SIG P226's in .40 are a comparitively new item. When the .40 first came on the scene, SIG only offered the caliber in the milled slide P229.

So...if weight and dimension matter, the lightest compact high cap 9mm is the P228, now sort of rare, but out there if you watch. The lightest SIG full size 9mm is the P226.

If weight and size are what you are looking for, ie, the pistol must be .40 cal and the full size appeals,than a milled P226 is the answer.
Old September 5, 2012, 10:33 PM   #19
halfcocked

I'd see what fits best in your hand also. I really wanted to like the 229 when they came out but it felt very top heavy and uncomfortable in my hand. A few other sigs later, I really like the 226 (mine in .357) and the 228, which is probably my favorite. The 228 feels great in my hand compared to the 229.
Old September 5, 2012, 11:58 PM   #20
MBRookie

I own a P226 in .357 sig and it fits in my hand as comfortable as a glove. Also the trigger is great. My son used it to shoot for his first time at the range and couldn't beleive the accuracy shooting al 25 meters (about 26 yards).
Old September 6, 2012, 12:35 AM   #21
NVBigEd

There's a lot to like with these....

Old September 6, 2012, 08:27 AM   #22
Tactical Jackalope

Love my P226 e2

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt Series 70 /SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / Kahr CW9 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Android
Old September 6, 2012, 09:15 AM   #23
Robk

I currenty own both of the pistols in question. I have a DA only P226 (not a DAK) and a DA/SA P229 two tone. Both feel similar but of course the P226 is a little larger in the grip length and barrel length giving it a bit better balance. Now when looking into a used Sig, please be aware that there have been changes in the general design. Older, West German marked Sigs, usually have a carbon steel folded slides and have all required German proof marks. Sometime in the mid 90s parts were shipped from Germany to the US for final assembly and do not have the proof marks as required by German law. Than when Sig Sauer North American came into being, all production started to shift to the New Hamshpire factory and slides started to be all milled units. There also was a shift from internal extractor to external extractor. So please do some research and be aware of what you are buying and what you are paying for, especially for a used Sig. I will say, SIGs become a addiction once you have one, but you will almost always never own just one! Good luck and happy shooting.

Oh, the P6/P225 would definitely be a great start to any SIG collection. Love mine, well love all of mine...lol
Old September 6, 2012, 09:22 AM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

WOW!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ RobK nice!!!! Congrats brother, don't sell those! Any of them! Ever!

Unless it's to me....
Old September 6, 2012, 09:50 AM   #25
Mystro

I think you will find that guys that buy Sigs are lifers with the brand. I truly think the P series Sigs are the finest production gun you can buy. They are worth their price. They are more than he sum of their parts.