The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2011, 04:55 PM   #1
fishblade2

shotgun chokes?

I wanted to ideally know the different types of chokes and how to determine which one my shotguns might have, how to take it out so I can clean it. Please any pictures or advice would be appreciated. I'm not going to, at least no time soon, compete with shotguns but I would love to hear some advice on how to determine a good choke for your shotgun and where to start. Thanks!
Old August 8, 2011, 05:13 PM   #2
zippy13

Question 1: Does your shotgun have a removable choke tube? If if doesn't, the barrel will be coded to indicate the fixed choke's constriction. Most removable choke tubes (they have a special wrench for removal) are marked with the constriction.

Question 2: What do you intend to do with your gun? Choke selection depends on anticipated application.

If you give us your gun's make and model, it will greatly help.
Old August 8, 2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Antique Shooter

Fishblade2, What kind of shotguns do you have? Gauge, barrel length? Do you know if the chokes are fiixed or screw in? Do you want to know for hunting, home defense, or shotgun sport applications?

The 3 most common chokes are; improved cylinder, modified, and full.

Improved Clyinder- Close range, large pattern of shot, rifled slugs: Early season upland game, rabbits
(50% of the pellets will hit inside of a 30 inch circle at 40yds)

Modified- Medium range, Best all around choke: Late season upland game, general waterfowling
(60% at 40yds)

Full- Long range, tight pattern: Turkey, predator, pass shooting waterfowl
(70% at 40yds)

This is just the tip of the iceberg in the choke world. There are alot more situation specific chokes out there depending on what you are looking to do.

If you can provide more information, I will be glad to help you to choose a choke for the applications you will be encountering.

Antique Shooter
Old August 8, 2011, 06:14 PM   #4
oneounceload

Here are some charts from Briley:

http://www.briley.com/understandings...nbybriley.aspx

http://www.briley.com/2009/chokeconstrictions.html

http://www.briley.com/2009/sportingclays.html

As mentioned, you need to supply us with more data so we can help you properly
Old August 8, 2011, 06:17 PM   #5
JiminTexas

The "choke" is figured on how much the barrel is constricted down from the "cylander" measurement. You cannot just measure the muzzle of the shotgun and determine the actual "choke". Choke guages have legs on them to measure inside diameter down the barrel in front of the choke constriction. A second measurement is then taken at the muzzle and the two numbers are subtracted. The choke is determined by that derived number. No, I don't have the chart that shows which chokes are which constrictions.
Old August 8, 2011, 06:36 PM   #6
mete

And after you have picked your choke , PATTERN it with the shell you want to use so you know what pattern you really have !!
Old August 8, 2011, 08:35 PM   #7
columbia_shotguneer

Quote:
Fishblade2, What kind of shotguns do you have? Gauge, barrel length? Do you know if the chokes are fiixed or screw in? Do you want to know for hunting, home defense, or shotgun sport applications?
This is a good point in order for advise to be given more efficiently. Also, shot size choices is a good place to start when determining what choke to use.
Old March 24, 2013, 05:36 PM   #8
Tom2f

the tip of the iceberg in the choke world. There are alot more situation specific cho

Antique Shooter:

I'm an antique myself, long a revolver, pistol and rifle man, but very (!) inexperienced with shotguns and specifically chokes.
My question would be: what is the difference, and why between so-called "clays" chokes and any other when the apparent dimensions (extended) and choke (full, extra full, etc) are the same. Or aren't they the same if the application is different? In this case clays vs turkey.
Old March 24, 2013, 05:42 PM   #9
BigD_in_FL

HUH?

Quote:
My question would be: what is the difference, and why between so-called "clays" chokes and any other when the apparent dimensions (extended) and choke (full, extra full, etc) are the same. Or aren't they the same if the application is different? In this case clays vs turkey.
I have NO idea what you are trying to ask...chokes are chokes.they do ONE thing, constrict the muzzle to make the shot either open up the pattern or stay together for distance
Old March 24, 2013, 06:46 PM   #10
Virginian

If he hasn't figured it out in two and a half years it may be hopeless.