The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 17, 2012, 10:20 PM   #1
stu925

Opening day of rifle season in souther zone

Day started out kind of slow sat in the stand from a little after 6am until 10am, as I was headed out of the woods for the morning I saw a deer jump up out of the brush and run into the middle of the logging road I was standing in. He stopped and I very quickly verified that he had antlers and at least 3 points on one side (I'm in one of those WMUs that antlered deer need 3 on one side to be legal). I tugged the trigger on the old 6.5x55 Swede and he flopped over backwards, dead right there.

A very respectable 5 pointer nice spread (I need to measure that and weigh him yet) shot at 10:20am.

This 6 point buck was shot by a friend at about 4:15pm, 4 hunters in our group and 2 bucks tagged. Looks like were batting 500. Tomorrow will be spent butchering and then Monday I'm back in the woods to try to fill doe tags or maybe whack a coyote on one of the gut piles.

Stu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo191.jpg (182.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Photo195.jpg (107.8 KB, 132 views)
Old November 17, 2012, 11:14 PM   #2
alex0535

Shot my first one this weekend. Only had to sit around for 45 minutes and shot a doe. A buck was right behind her, but I had a better shot on her.

Might go out tomorrow afternoon if the wind isn't blowing, see if I can take another. I think that if the weather is good my odds of seeing deer is pretty high. Lots of signs of deer activity.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:14 AM   #3
hooligan1

I got lucky enough to fill two tags so far, our buck season for firearms ends tuesday, and the antlerless season runs through Dec 2. I'll need a 100 lb doe for our freezer, for hamburger. I had breakfast sausage made with the first one, and the second made Summer sausage with hot pepper cheese, in 1 lb chubs.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:47 PM   #4
stu925

Every deer we shoot we take the front shoulders and turn it into sausage plus any smaller scrap of meat goes int the sausage pile. That small 6 pointer we skinned and quartered today and I cut up the front shoulders, yield was 13.5lbs of venison for sausage (Breakfast, Italian, and Breakfast). Still need to cut the hind quarters up and still need to cut up my deer, it's a lot of work but definitely worth it.

Stu
Old November 18, 2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Nice deer!

My party got 3, I got a doe and there was also an 8 and 5 point.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:27 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Congrats, everybody.
Old November 19, 2012, 08:12 AM   #7
camper4lyfe

I didn't see a darn thing. The property I was on needs some help. Didn't even see any squirrels until 1p on Saturday. I'm taking that as a sign of no nuts. No nuts=no food=no deer. I think some planting is in order.
Old November 19, 2012, 09:34 PM   #8
stu925

A food plot is a great idea if you can put it together, There's no acorns in the woods now, the little bit that were on the trees dropped early this year. Luckily the property is surrounded by fields so the deer cross through every day.

Stu