The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 29, 2001, 01:01 PM   #1
handgunhunting

I want a 10-inch contender barrel in .17 caliber, but I am unsure as what little 17 to get.
I was thinking about a 17 k hornet. Can anyone tell me what is the best 17 and anything about the 17 caliber you know 9 how to make them what is there parent case)?
Old June 29, 2001, 02:11 PM   #2
kurt IA.

Try the WOODCHUCK DEN, INC. 11220 Hilltop Road SW Balitic OH. Or www.smallcaliber.com. The guy that runs it is a 17 nut, and has about anything one could want in that cal. I would try the 17MACH IV, its made on the 221 fireball case, and proven to be a great little round.
Old June 29, 2001, 03:59 PM   #3
handgunhunting

thanks for the info however i didnt find much info. just found a 17 squirrel that looks very good now i need to know what case is it based on,
Old June 29, 2001, 05:03 PM   #4
Cris

My New 17

Recenlty ordered a new 17 caliber barrel from Virgin Valley Custom Guns in Utah. They are having a "Shorty Sale", in which they are making barrels out of leftover match grade blanks and selling for $199. Most are under 14" and come in either blue or SS. Don't know how long the sale will last or what blanks they have left as I ordered mine a few weeks ago. I picked up a 12" blued bull in 17 Ackley Hornet as well as a 300-221 (300 Whisper) also in 12" blued bull. The only disadvantage I see so far for the 17 AH is the cost of the reloading set-up. This round is based on a 22 Hornet case necked down to 17 caliber and then the shoulders blown out to a somewhat sharp angle during the fireforming process. From what I have read, the small case of the 17 AH is very efficient and is better suited to the shorter barrels than some of the other 17 caliber rounds. As I start shooting this round, I will post its performance.