The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 29, 2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Doublea A

NBC Quotes Officer involved in Toy gun Shooting TFL's Comment

So I was on NBC online today yeah I know shame on me and was reading about the deputy who shot a teen holding a replica AK 47 in California on Oct, 22nd. It stated that in 2006, one of the officers involved in the shooting posted on this forum about the use of force against persons carry a replica gun.

According to the online article, the officer stated here that in a shooting involving a replica gun, we have to be able to express to the judiciary or the powers be that we were in fear of severe bodily harm or death.

My comments are that we should be very careful of all our electronic messaging and videos because should an incident occur everything will be brought in judging our mind-set.

Are others concern or am I just paranoid?

Last edited by Doublea A; October 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Editing
Old October 29, 2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Nope. Is natural to be concern. We had a thread on this subject a few months back.

Privacy on the internet (or in general) is largely a myth. The things we write and say can come back to us in ways we can't sometimes predict.
Old October 29, 2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
It stated that in 2006, one of the officers involved in the shooting posted on this forum
Wasn't TFL shut down during 2006? Had it re-opened by then?

ETA: Never mind. Some research indicates TFL was shut down only from about Jan. 2003 - May 2004

Last edited by Armorer-at-Law; October 29, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old October 29, 2013, 01:48 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Link the the NBC article: Deputy who shot teen holding replica gun was firearms instructor, war veteran
Applicable quotes are the last 4 paragraphs.
Old October 29, 2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Armorer-at-Law

From article:
Quote:
In a 2006 post on Firing Line Forum, an online network for gun enthusiasts, Gelhaus wrote about the use of force against someone carrying a BB gun.

“It’s going to come down to YOUR ability to articulate to law enforcement and very likely the Court that you were in fear of death or serious bodily injury,” he wrote, according to the Reuters news service.
Old October 29, 2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Quote:
Nope. Is natural to be concern. We had a thread on this subject a few months back.

Privacy on the internet (or in general) is largely a myth. The things we write and say can come back to us in ways we can't sometimes predict.
And note this post in that thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ettin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra280
...there is no anonymity or privacy online...
Apropos of which see this article headlined "Bay Area prosecutors increasingly using social media posts in criminal cases" from the 16 August 2013 edition of the Contra Costa Times:
Quote:
PLEASANTON -- A teenage driver originally accused of vehicular manslaughter now faces a murder charge in the death of a bicyclist, partly because prosecutors say he bragged on Twitter about driving dangerously.

His case is part of a growing trend of social media posts being used as evidence against suspects, authorities said Friday.

As suspects feel compelled to post their misdeeds online for audiences to see, investigators have taken advantage, using the online quasi-confessions to bolster their cases, Bay Area prosecutors said.

In San Francisco, a cyclist in March fatally struck a 71-year-old pedestrian in a crosswalk after speeding through three red lights in the Castro District. Chris Bucchere, who eventually pleaded guilty to felony vehicular manslaughter, received a stiffer charge after he posted his explanation of the crash on a cycling group's website....
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old October 29, 2013, 03:08 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

Massad Ayoob; online posts....

Gun writer & legal use of force expert; Massad Ayoob put out a article about a year, year & a half ago where he brought up the same topic.

Ayoob was critical of the "net ninjas" & "armchair commandos" who post outrageous statements or remarks on gun/tactics forums w/o any concern for the repercussions/ramifications.
In my view, he's 100% right.
You can't make brash statements like "I don't care about the law." or "I'll do what I please." then be surprised if or when it becomes a issue.

The recent high profile trial in central Florida should make armed citizens & license holders aware of their statements & actions, re: weapons/use of force.

Clyde
Old October 29, 2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

But ... but ... but I use a screen name when I post. I'm anonymous, aren't I?

Old October 29, 2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Some of you may remember when I crashed the "Current 2A Cases" thread. Tyme had an incomplete backup of the thread. The rest of the thread was restored by me, using an archived version that Google had.

Nothing is ever truly deleted on the interwebs.

If you don't want what you have written at TFL (or any other site) to become front page news, then I would suggest you carefully choose your words in writing. As we've just seen, it can come back to bite you.
Old October 29, 2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
but I use a screen name when I post. I'm anonymous, aren't I?
Sure. Absolutely. If you could repeat your mother's maiden name and that credit card number again, I'll be sure to keep that information confidential.

Remember Usenet? We had a guy named Donald Melvin Davis who went by the handle Gunkid (among others). He was a piece of work. Thing was, some of the reprehensible things he posted were actually true, and they were used in his prosecution (actually, one of them).

Nothing on the internet ever goes away. Ask Harrison Ford.
Old October 30, 2013, 01:28 AM   #11
Flopsweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
But ... but ... but I use a screen name when I post. I'm anonymous, aren't I?

You're not fooling anyone, White Eagle.

Old October 30, 2013, 12:54 PM   #12
ClydeFrog

True story; mixed ID post....

Very true story;
A few years ago, in the late 2000s, a gun forum member "outed" me & my username on that forum(not TFL).
He claimed I was a "counter-terrorism" expert & professor at a small US university.
This was because of a minor spelling error with my forum username. That name was also a reference to a popular US cartoon series but the "professor" spelled it a different way.
This CT expert wasn't beloved or getting any holiday greeting cards from the terror networks/extremist groups he dealt with on a regular basis.
The fact that this web error might have led these "tangos" my way was a tad off-putting.

I also, by chance read a interesting article online where a guy in Brazil quoted me(used a post I had on TFL) talking about open vs concealed carry methods. It looked like Portugese but it sounded like the author agreed with my point(s).
Old October 30, 2013, 02:10 PM   #13
armoredman

If the investigators miss something, NSA will point them to it.