The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 12, 2009, 10:33 AM   #1
J.Kendall

NFA question

Is it legal, if I get the tax stamp at some point, to buy surplus lower assemblies from other countries, and then buy other parts to complete a rifle? New to all this NFA stuff...
Old November 12, 2009, 10:40 AM   #2
M4Sherman

no new full auto's can be registered for civilians in the U.S (except for dealer samples) But if your an importer and a manufacture you can build new Simi-auto receivers and then import some old full-autos and place the "parts kits" on the new non-Full-auto receivers.
Old November 12, 2009, 01:46 PM   #3
J.Kendall

So I couldn't do a parts build and then pay the tax stamp? what if it's a semi-auto? does that make a difference?
Old November 12, 2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

If you are making a NFA firearm on form 1 (like a short barreled rifle) you always pay the tax and wait till you get your stamp before you build it.

You can not legally assemble a new machinegun. Period. Even if you are using old imported parts.

Building a semi-auto is fine as long as the barrel is 16" or more and you have the 10 USA made 922r compliance parts. I think you get a pass around 922r if the gun is NFA...
Old November 12, 2009, 09:22 PM   #5
J.Kendall

I wanted to build up a G3, because I found a complete lower assembly thats German surplus for only like $100
Old November 13, 2009, 10:10 PM   #6
David Hineline

On the G3 type weapon as soon as you modify lower trigger pack assy. to fit a semi auto receiver, or modify that semi auto receiver to accept a select fire lower trigger pack then you have created an illegal machine gun subject to up to 10yrs in federal prison and up to $250,000 fine. You can have the multi position lower grip assy. all you want as long as you don't have a host firearm it fits on.

What you are considering buying is an unregulated spare part for a machine gun, if you don't have a machine gun to legally use it on, there is not need to have the part.
Old December 22, 2009, 06:40 PM   #7
glocktoys

if you have the parts to build the rifle (sbr or auto) is concidered intent and is against the law
Old December 22, 2009, 07:30 PM   #8
richmondtx

I wouldn't do it...the reason why its so cheap is b/c what you will end up with is illegal.

Also, I too was under the wrong impression that if you build a NFA toy, you are exempt from 922r. That is WRONG! ATF has ruled that any firearm that has imported parts or was made from kits or even if it is a NFA weapon, it STILL has to comply with 922r.

Last edited by richmondtx; December 22, 2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: 922(r) Clarification