The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 25, 2015, 08:27 PM   #1
Buckley

Market Value of Ruger Mark II

Have lead on subject pistol at auction in New England. Estimated selling price range is $150.00 - $250.00. Pistol is in 85% - 90# condition with one magazine, no manual or box. What would be maximum price to pay? Plan on using at indoor range; but not in competition. Presently shooting revolvers and thought this would be good way to try semi auto pistol. Appreciate any help. Buckley
Old July 25, 2015, 08:56 PM   #2
Sevens

There is some missing information that matters a lot! Blued, tapered barrel, fixed sights--low end. Heavy 5.5" or monster 10" heavy barrel, adjustable sights and stainless...? High end! Also, the local market has it's say.

I will tell you this much:
if it is clean, not beat up and it seems totally functional, then I would (honestly!) pay right up to the low end sales price locally for a *NEW* Mark III with the same or similar features.

In my (not at all humble) opinion, the Mark II is a better handgun than the Mark III.

The Mark II is the pinnacle of the design.
Old July 25, 2015, 09:09 PM   #3
lee n. field

Pretty much what Sevens said: is there anything special about this gun? Target sights? Stainless? Special grips?

Magazines and manual are no big dial to get hold of.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 25, 2015, 09:31 PM   #4
Buckley

Post shows my lack of knowledge about semi automatic Ruger hand guns. Gun is the standard Mark II model blued with fluted barrel and fixed sights. A new standard model Mark III is listed at Cabela`s for $370.00 plus tax.

Really appreciate your help. Auction is tomorrow maybe I will get lucky! Will let you know. Many thanks Buckley
Old July 25, 2015, 09:37 PM   #5
jolly roger

I've got a nice Stainless Government Model 6 7/8 bull barrel Mark II with a Volquartsen trigger. Don't see those around much. I wonder what those are going for..not that it's for sale mind you
Old July 26, 2015, 12:26 AM   #6
reddog81

Sounds like the "plain jane" model.
$150 would've definitely be a good deal. $250 wouldn't be a bad price if it's something your looking for. A ruger mark II is quite a bit different from your average centerfire auto loader but still a great gun.
Old July 26, 2015, 07:28 AM   #7
Snyper

Every fluted barrel I've ever seen was either custom made , or on a MKIII
Old July 26, 2015, 06:24 PM   #8
Buckley

Thank you all for your comments regarding market value of the Ruger Mark II Standard. Auction was today and bought the gun for $150.00 plus buyers premium of 10 %.

Again brain was not in gear when I described barrel as being " fluted" it is a tapered barrel. Look forward to getting it to the range. Thanks again for your help. Buckley
Old July 26, 2015, 06:55 PM   #9
orionengnr

At $150, I think you did just fine.
My first MkII was a 5 inch bull barrel, and I paid $250 for it (about ten years ago).
Followed it up with a similar MkII in stainless for $300.

I later added a fluted barrel MkIII Hunter...and sold it to a friend shortly thereafter. The LCI, mag safety and other lawyer-gimmicks ruined the design for me.
The MkII is definitely the pinnacle of Ruger .22 pistols.
Enjoy!
Old July 26, 2015, 07:20 PM   #10
Knightsofnee

Wonderful pistol, good price. Just don't be in a rush to take it apart. Ruger will be happy to get you a manual. You might be able to download the manual from the internet.
Old July 26, 2015, 07:30 PM   #11
lee n. field

You did fine. Now get out there and enjoy it.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 26, 2015, 07:38 PM   #12
Mystro

Great gun. A Ruger MK2 SS bull barrel was my very first handgun. Wonderful gun to own and hunt with. As mentioned, don't take it apart often. It is a difficult process even when you have done it a few times.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old July 27, 2015, 05:08 AM   #13
jetinteriorguy

A couple weeks ago while poking through the consignment rack at the LGS, I spotted a nice Mark II for $350.00. It is a 6" bull barrel, stainless, target model with three mags, three sets of grips, a case and a holster. I snatched it up in a heartbeat. Love this gun, a real tack driver even with me shooting it. I feel it's the best gun purchase I've made for quite a while. I had one of these in the blued version many years ago and like a numbskull sold it, so glad to have one back again. I've also been finding .22 ammo a little easier and slightly more reasonably priced lately so will shoot it pretty regularly.
Old July 27, 2015, 12:14 PM   #14
Snyper

There's really little need to ever field strip a MKII

You can remove the grips and use spray solvent and an air hose to get out dirt and old lube.