The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 6, 2010, 05:09 PM   #26
Willie D

Just like adults come in different stripes, not all kids are the same. You need to do what you think is best and it's probably wise to err on the side of caution.

I know some people who were raised around guns and turned out fine and I've known kids who I wouldn't trust with a frisbee.
Old July 6, 2010, 05:41 PM   #27
MadHatter1

I don't have kids yet, so Im far from an 'expert"on the topic. But I was raised in a household with loaded guns in my parents bedroom. I was also raised in a house that had rules. One of them was that I was not EVER allowed in my parents room uninvited. To violate such a rule resulted in painful corrective action. My father also allowed me to see and handle his firearms under his supervision whenever I asked. He would stop what he was doing, and make the time to show me. I was never facinated by firearms as a child, any more that the toaster. I started shooting at 6. I was 11 when I was allowed to take a .22 plinking on my own.

corneredcat.com is a great resource for parents. Its geared towards women, but a lot of the information is gender neutral. Lots of information on kids and guns.

A quick legal disclaimer: some states mandate safe storage to some degree or another, and have criminal penalties for failing to comply. Know your state/local laws

Tags
access , kids , safe , safety , toddler