The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 6, 2009, 08:07 PM   #1
ninjatoth

Dead Deer with No gun!

I know an old italian guy who has lived here in the US since the 50s,well a few years back,him and his grandson were hunting whitetail with a muzzleloader if I remember correctly,but his grandson or him,I don't remember took a shot at a buck and missed,and the deer(a big buck)charged the old fella.He grabbed the deer by the antlers and started to wrestle with it,then he twisted and snapped the deer's neck,then right then he grabbed his knife and slit it's throat.Not bad hunting if I say so myself!
Old July 6, 2009, 08:13 PM   #2
kwells6

i've found a '88 Jeep Comanche works just as well...
Old July 6, 2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Rembrandt

Had something similar happen....only with an Antelope. Son shot a buck and stunned it. I thought it was dead and held up the head by the horns when it suddenly came back to life. Wasn't about to let it go, so I wrestled it to the ground and cut its throat. Only big game animal I ever got in hand-to-hand combat.
Old July 6, 2009, 08:51 PM   #4
elkman06

Two for me.

Two for me.
One doe deer(wounded) w/ a knife.
One cow elk(also wounded) w/ a hatchet.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old July 6, 2009, 10:00 PM   #5
globemaster3

USAF Survival School 1999. While on a little evasion exercise in the woods, came across a 4X4 whitetail caught in an apache foot snare using 3 strands of 550. Unfortunately, it broke its leg while thrashing about. Walked down to the nearest road, flagged an instructor, and the coup de grace was delivered with an ax to the back of the head. Got that rack hanging in my garage.
Old July 6, 2009, 10:01 PM   #6
cornbush

One trip out with my grandpa ended in hand to hoof.
We saw some deer (mule deer) run into a pocket of quakies in the bottom of a little bowl.
My grandpa, my uncle, Frankenmauser, Crankylove and myself circled around the bowl.
My dad and my youngest brother went up the bottom of the bowl.
About 2 or 3 minutes after my dad started though the trees he yells out there they are and bang, bang ,bang , bang with his Redhawk.
Of course he hit nothing (don't tell him I said that).
Three bucks and a half dozen does start up the othe side of the bowl.
My grandpa dropped a very nice buck and starts looking for does as my uncle yells at him DOE 30 feet in front of you!
Where she came from we have no idea, but he swung around and shot, hit and went back to the other hillside. This paticular year in Idaho you were allowed more than one doe tag.
The doe went down, my uncle ran over to the doe to make sure she was down, she had been hit in the @$$, not anywhere close to normal for gramps.
My uncle got out his Redhawk, pulled down and put one in her head from about 10 feet.
I got out my knife and got ready to gut her (to prove I was old enough).
Put the knife to her belly and the hooves came alive!!!!!!
They couldn't hear me yell so I picked up a rock about the size of a basketball and hit her several times in the head.
Neaxt thing I know my uncle is telling me what a morbid little Bas$#%^ I am.
Upon further inspeation we found out his 44 did nothting more than pierce both ears and cut the hair off the hide on her head knocking her cold.
He later apologized and told me I did a good job on the gutting.
Old July 7, 2009, 06:27 AM   #7
VaFisher

Had a interesting 6 point buck come to life on me when I was only 16 young years of age. I shot him with a 12ga using buckshot but he still woke up after I got to him. I was not about to let him go but being young I did not weigh enough to be able to controll him so just hung on and keep cutting with my knife until he let out his last air which seemed forever at the time. I had no idea at the time of shooting him but his memory is burned into me forever.
Old July 7, 2009, 06:44 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

You guys must be living a charmed life.

All of my critters have remained dead so far but an old hunting buddy had a whitetail buck come back and try to gore him in the thigh. He wrestled it down and gave it the coup de grace with a hunting knife.
Old July 7, 2009, 07:52 AM   #9
Uncle Billy

I have a friend who thought he had killed a white tail with his Hawken replica during muzzle loader season. As he stood next to the downed deer, it came awake and began struggling to stand up. Since my friend hadn't reloaded his rifle, he was in a spot. He proceeded to club the deer with his rifle, which eventually put the deer down for good. He tagged the buck, but it cost him a new stock for his rifle. Now he reloads right after a shot, before approaching.
Old July 7, 2009, 04:26 PM   #10
VaFisher

I do remember a story from many year ago. I had a couple of freinds that told the story the same way so must have been something to it. They were on park service land where they were not suppose to be deer hunting and one of them shot a six point whitetail deer. After shooting the deer they got in a hurry to get out of there so they threw the deer in the back seat of the car they were driving and started out. About half way out the driver looked in the mirror to see the deer was up in the back seat and then it got interesting so they both bailed out of the car. When the car stoped up against a tree the deer finally came out one of the door that was left open and hulled buggy. I am not much on telling a story the way they did it was so funny to hear. Don't think I would like a deer in my back seat dead or alive but they both said that's what they had the old car for in case they got in trouble they didn't lose to much. They never did get in trouble hunting there from what I am told and both are dead now. Guess things were a bit different back then compaired to now, they didn't see harm in what they did but I sure did when they told the story.
Old July 8, 2009, 09:58 AM   #11
tokarev762

In my misspent youth, I once worked a few years for the TN Dept of Corrections. One day I got to talking to an old inmate and noticed how he had a bunch of long scars down his arms and across his chest and asked about them.

He told me that when he was a young teen, he and his daddy were squirrel humting up on the Cumberland Plateau. As they were walking along, his pa stopped and pointed up into a tree. Laying along a branch was a full grown wildcat(bobcat). The inmate told me that he quickly raised up his .22 and shot the bobcat off the limb and then ran over to where it fell on the ground. His daddy was yelling to him to stop, but he said that he was too excited to listen to him and just dropped his rifle and picked the cat up with his hands around the critters chest. He said that he was looking at the cat's face when, the cat, which apperently was only stunned, opened it's eyes.

He told me that the cat tried to go one way and he tried to go the other, the problem being that they were in each others way to get there.

The scars were so wide because there wasn't any doctor around and they couldn't afford one anyway, his mother just doctored him up with poutices until he was healed.
Old July 8, 2009, 11:27 AM   #12
sc928porsche

Best one I heard was at the family camp. Each year for decades, 8-10 families (relatives) would get together for a reunion mixed with deer hunting. Two of my uncles in their younger days loaded up a buck in the back of a pick up one morning after a hunt to return to camp. Once the buck was loaded they proceeded toward camp and another truck loaded with three relatives pulled in behind the and started following. The buck in the lead pickup came to life and jumped out. It was immidiately dispached by the vehicle following it. My uncle kept telling the other one for many years how he was owed a bumper for the damage.
Old July 8, 2009, 01:33 PM   #13
grymster2007

Never killed a deer, but I got hit by one about a year ago. She came out of the brush at full bore and paralleled my truck for a few yards before lowering her head and ramming me. She was fine, but my truck sustained some dents.
Old July 8, 2009, 02:34 PM   #14
ninjatoth

I never got hit by a deer,but I was charged and pinned by a 250-300lb goat.All I know is,animals are freaking strong
Old July 8, 2009, 03:43 PM   #15
ilbob

An acquaintance related how he learned the hard way not to assume a dead deer is dead.

He went to grab a dead one one time, it hopped to its feet, knocked him over, and then dropped dead on top of him. Imagine getting several broken ribs and having to walk 3 or 4 miles back to the road so you can drive 30 miles to a hospital.

Now he approaches dead deer with a stick and pokes it in the eye first.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old July 8, 2009, 11:19 PM   #16
FrontSight

I got a few deer without a gun...I did use a bow, tho

Oh, and one big doe decided to commit suicide by the car 50 yards in front of mine. The hams were all a bloody, gooey mess when I skinned her.
Old July 9, 2009, 06:12 AM   #17
Uncle Billy

This isn't about deer or even much about guns, but I thought I'd post it anyway; if it's inappropriate or too far off the point, I won't argue with it being deleted.

About 30 years ago I was driving on the freeway well out of town. I was behind a farmer's pickup with an older man and a kid in it, and a dog and some sacks of grain in the back. A shotgun lay in the rack inside the rear window. We were all going about 70 or so; the pickup was in the left lane passing a semi; I was about 5 car lengths back of the pickup in the same lane. When the pickup got next to the tractor, the kid in the pickup made the universal hand sign for "blow your horns". The semi driver gave a couple of toots on his air horns, which so startled the dog that it leapt out of the pickup bed and went under the semi's trailer. The semi pulled over, the pickup pulled over ahead of him, and I pulled over too, behind the semi. The farmer got out of his truck and walked purposely back toward the semi, where the driver was halfway out of his cab. I didn't see that he'd taken the shotgun until he was very close. We all froze when we saw it, waiting to see what the farmer had in mind. He walked past the semi without speaking or even looking at the truck driver, to where the dog was laying; it was all mangled and obviously hopelessly injured. The farmer squatted down next to the dog, put his face in his hands for a moment, touched the dog's head, then stood up and shot the dog. He turned, his face wet with his tears, and wordlessly walked back to the pickup, again without looking at the truck driver, got in and drove away. The semi pulled out and left as well; I had to stay for a moment until my eyes dried.

I've heard of a number of incidences just like this one. I thought it to be an "urban myth" until I saw it actually happen.
Old July 16, 2009, 01:55 AM   #18
Dannyl

If it has horns or teeth, make sure it is DEAD before approaching it

Hi
I live in South africa and hunt regularly. After reading and hearing about many incidents where the "dead" kudu, Ipala, Oryx, bushbuck etc ended up goring hunters who were getting ready to take a photo or to start gutting them, I got into the habit of watching first for a few minutes, including checking the eyes ( they will tell you if it is dead) and if in doubt, I put one bullet in the brain.

This applies tenfold to animals who can bite or stomp you.

Rgds,
Danny
Old July 20, 2009, 03:16 AM   #19
Peptobismol9

I shot a doe at around 300 yards down a food plot in my old hunting club. I was all ghilled up, and the deer showed up within an hour of getting there. It was the biggest doe killed that year at 230 pounds. IT WAS HUGE. I got pics on my ps3 of it. But long story short. It wasnt night but it was dim, and we didnt have alot of time to legally shoot this deer. I was in a thorn brush, turned almost backwards, trying to sight on a deer, I couldnt see anything but a shilouette of. The shot was good, probally just luck, I grazed its neck, and it ran. The only reason I knew I hit, was when I went to investigate, Clumps of white hair were on the ground. I followed blood spots about 40 yards downhill to my right and found it dying in the grass. I had a nice knife, And hadnt got to use it yet, so i Was like, Ok why not? http://www.trueswords.com/alabama-sl...fe-p-2737.html
I grabbed it clumsily by the ears snatched its head up and ran my knife across its neck first to the left then back to the right. It bled out quickly. The thing that baffles me is, The bullet appeared to have grazed its neck, Yet, There was a fresh wound across its side. I beleive the reason the deer was almost passed out was the blood loss and sudden loss of blood pressure.
I will put picks up when I get them off my ps3. I was ironically wearing a shirt that said "Mr. messy" on it.

Tags
deer knife