The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 9, 2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Just got back from the range

Took along five tools.

New Henry in .357 and a Cattleman also in .357. Unfortunately I neglected to take along any .357 ammunition so it was a little embarrassing.

I had loaded some .45LC for a comparison of 777 and Pyrodex. The platform was the Rossi M92 Carbine. Fun to shoot. I noted about 70 fps more with 777 than with Pyrodex from that rifle. About 1160 as compared with 1230. The load was 27 grains by volume from a Redding powder measure. Used a card and then cornmeal for filler. I sure do like that power measure for cartridges.

Also took along the trapdoor carbine with the new sight. Perhaps you recall I made a new sight for it because the first one was too short. This one is too tall which I was pretty sure would be the case. I'll take it down a bit and then smooth it up at the range the next time out.

Took the new Sharps along as well. Very interesting comparison with the trapdoor. I was using a 405 RNFP from a Lee mold. That was backed up by 70 grains of 777. Both rifles shot between 1250 and 1300 fps. I imagine that I can hold a closer group with the Sharps. No surprise since the Trapdoor is 130years old. The Sharps sight is a little more user friendly.

I did learn something about the Sharps action. It is not a good idea to close the breach with the hammer forward. The rifle discharges when you close the breach. This is why I never shoot with anyone else around.

Saw about a six or seven foot snake. It did not appear to be interested in shooting, so I left it alone.
Old June 9, 2013, 04:41 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Doc - sounds like you had a fun day. Interesting comment on the Sharps and closing the breech with the hammer down. Makes sense after you talk about it but I would imagine it was quite a surprise for you! I wonder if any of the other Sharps shooters on here have had the same experience?

You shoule have invited the snake to shoot with you - would have given a whole new meaning to "bore snake"!

Glad you had a good day to shoot - nice to have a day without rain!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 9, 2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Quote:
I did learn something about the Sharps action. It is not a good idea to close the breach with the hammer forward. The rifle discharges when you close the breach. This is why I never shoot with anyone else around.
It is not a good idea to open the breach with the hammer forward, either.
You risk a broken firing pin as the breechblock drags it out of the indent.

Me? I like modern guns that do it all for me, like Winchester Single Shot.

Y'all be careful, now, you hear?
Old June 9, 2013, 08:34 PM   #4
n5lyc

but modern weapons don't have the personality that old ones do.

While i do have and use modern weapons, when it comes to recreational relaxing shooting, it needs to be made out of steel, wood, and made before 1960..

Ian
Old June 9, 2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Uh, my "modern" Winchester was made in 1899 so it is a year too new to be a BATF antique.
But it is still made out of blue steel and walnut and shoots black powder.
It just has the advantage of a self cocking centrally hung hammer.
Old June 10, 2013, 07:23 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Coupla responses...

BBB,

Yes was a big surprise. When it happened I stopped and asked myself, what if I had brought another person along? What if the rifle were not pointed downrange when it happened? Pretty scary.

Jim,

Good tip and it makes complete sense. A day is not wasted upon which you learn something.

5N,

I agree with you as regards personality.

Jim,

I want one of those too. Had a chance on a 94 Marlin for 475.00 at the gun show, but I had already spent my pennies on the Henry. Did I say, that is the same Henry that I failed to take ammunition for?

Old June 11, 2013, 03:27 PM   #7
Dan_D

Glad to hear that something that could have ended badly, didn't. Something to chalk up in the experience file and to serve as a good warning to others.