The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2005, 08:24 PM   #1
dick_tracy1953

Hand loading for: 6.5 Italian Carcano

I recently purchased a birthday present. It is an Italian Carcano, Model 1891 Fucile. The long rife was made at Terni in 1936 and stamped for excellence with the crossed rifles. It is in exceptional condition inclusive of a pristine bore.

I'm trying to figure out the reloading problems specific to the 6.5 Carcano cartridge. I am starting out with fifty virgin pieces of 6.5 Carcano brass. My question is concerning projectiles as well as load data. This is my first problem. It seems that 6.5 Carcano does not fire the same projectile as 6.5 Mauser (.264) but instead may fire .266 (Norma) or .268 projectiles. A few reloaders recommend using .264 projectiles. It is my understanding that the Lee die sets are set up for (.264 or for .268). I found some .268 180grain RN at Midway and two other .268 projectiles at Buffaloarms.com that were 140 and 160 grain. I would like to have an opinion as how to proceed. The .268 180 grain RN's are Hornady projectiles. I have purchased a set of RCBS dies not that I have any problems with using Lee dies.
Old January 17, 2005, 10:44 PM   #2
IronLance

Both the Sierra manual and Speer manual show using .264 bullets for the Carcano.

The confusion with the different diameters may be due to the fact there are a wide variation in bore and groove sizes (Sierra reloading manual).

If you want to know the exact diameter of your bore, get one of the slug kits from Brownells and calipers. It should tell you, at a minimum, if the .264's will work properly.
Old January 21, 2005, 12:52 PM   #3
dick_tracy1953

Remington 140 grain SP

I have noticed that the Remington 140 grain SP (.264) design offer more bearing surface at .264 than Sierra projectiles. Are any of you fellas playing around with the 6.5 Italian Carcano cartridge.
Old January 24, 2005, 06:50 PM   #4
uplander

Whatever load you decide on, make sure you wear good quality shooting glasses when you shoot it. I had a lot of trouble with the darn .268 bullets last winter. I found with some published data, cold weather affected performance adversely. Good glasses saved my eyes.
I suggest you do a lot of research before you load 'em up. Contact Hornady directly for load data for their .268s.