The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2014, 10:08 PM   #1
surveyor

rotary media separators?

I'm looking for opinions as what works the best, I don't like the collander or pan with holes over a bucket approach..cost is not a deciding factor within reason..

I am mainly looking for something that will easily separate all media( walnut) from rifle cases, is well built, loads easily, and does not make a mess...

I have seen the ones over a bucket, the ones with a enclosed top and the ones over a tub without a top..

Not really stuck to a brand, as long as it is quality and works..

I have seen, rcbs,dillon, frankford, and similar..

Just wondering from those who have used them what they thought, and if they are happy with them, especially pertaininv to rifle brass.

I did a search, and it seems to be between the rcbs and the dillon...
Rcbs has a cover, dillon does not..
Thanks..

Last edited by surveyor; December 14, 2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old December 14, 2014, 11:01 PM   #2
mmb713

I have the RCBS and am perfectly happy with it. The lid keeps dust under control during separation and when I'm done I just leave the media in the separator until I use it again. The lid comes in really handy then keeping dust and debris out of the media.
Old December 14, 2014, 11:14 PM   #3
Vance

I have the media separator sold in the kit that http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/ sells. My basket broke because of my rough handling. I knew that Berry's Manufacturing had their own and contacted them to see if I could purchase just the basket and was informed that Berry's manufactures the media separator for STM. They sent me a replacement basket no charge.
http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14...ry_Sifter.aspx
Lifetime warranty made in the USA.
Old December 14, 2014, 11:22 PM   #4
higgite

I like my RCBS separator. Haven't used any others, but haven't wanted to, either.
Old December 15, 2014, 04:07 AM   #5
Sevens

I used the Frankford for a few years and was never very happy with it but it was better than having NO separator. Bought the Berry's separator more than 2yrs ago and the strongest emotion seems to be "WHAT AN IDIOT!" that I was for not simply starting with the Berry's separator in the first place.

The Frankford is craptastic and the Berry's works perfectly.
Old December 15, 2014, 04:41 AM   #6
1stmar

I have a dillon works well no issues. Like all dillon stuff well built but may be cheaper things out there.
Old December 15, 2014, 08:15 AM   #7
surveyor

1stmar,
On the dillon, if the smaller one, is the basket latches and horizontal locking pin set up the same as the larger model?

I'm really leaning in that direction....ease of filling, quality construction, good latches on the basket, etc..while the features of the cm 2000 are appealling I'm not certain that I would want to give up that much space on the bench, and the tumbler is not that big..

So I'm leaning toward the cm 500

Last edited by surveyor; December 15, 2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old December 15, 2014, 09:40 AM   #8
jmorris

I tried different methods until I bought a Dillon. Works good.
Old December 15, 2014, 09:40 AM   #9
chiefr

Quote:
I used the Frankford for a few years and was never very happy with it but it was better than having NO separator. Bought the Berry's separator more than 2yrs ago and the strongest emotion seems to be "WHAT AN IDIOT!" that I was for not simply starting with the Berry's separator in the first place.

The Frankford is craptastic and the Berry's works perfectly.

Good advice. Avoid the Frankfort. The clip-ons that hold the separator to the bucket do not hold, the pin that holds the clamshell separator together will come out and you have a serious mess to clean. A real POS.

Not to be bashing Frankfort, most of their products are great, with the media separator being an exception.
Old December 15, 2014, 06:10 PM   #10
surveyor

I picked up a dillon cm 500 locally, it has a pin to keep the basket from turning when loading, well designed and made, good latch on it..

And.....it takes all the walnut out of the 223 cases....I'm pleased...should have bought it a year ago..
Old December 15, 2014, 06:23 PM   #11
Clark

I have the Berry's separator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDG-9cdbcg0
http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14...y_Sifter.aspx#

I don't use it to separate high power rifle case from stainless media. I do that by hand.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 15, 2014, 06:47 PM   #12
1stmar

Surveyor I have the larger one and it's probably 20years old. The latches on the basket are still extremely tight. It's a solid design. I would assume the smaller one is the same design but don't know for sure.
Old December 15, 2014, 07:35 PM   #13
surveyor

1stmar,
Diffrences look like no metal brackets on the media pan, and a cage that is about half the length, smaller media tub....shorter handle, 1 latch on the basket.

But the small one has a pin that goes in the media bin to keep the basket from rotating when filling...

It is a good design... that works well..it will fit my needs..
Old December 15, 2014, 07:42 PM   #14
BigJimP

I've used the smaller Dillon for about 15 yrs....no issues..../ although it does toss some of the media out of the collection bin a little bit....if you get a little too aggressive as you spin it....

(I wouldn't mind a cover for it ) although its really not that big a deal - since I use it in my shop anyway...on a concrete floor / easy to sweep up... .
Old December 15, 2014, 08:35 PM   #15
1stmar

My brackets are spring loaded plastic and it uses the pin as well. Enjoy..
Old December 15, 2014, 10:30 PM   #16
Ozzieman

Quote:
The Frankford is craptastic .
Sevens, I think your being way to kind saying that about the Frankford.
Words I would use would get me kicked off TFL.
The fact that you cant load it while its in the bucket and the list go's on.
I'm going to give Berry's a look.
Thanks
I do think that Jerry Miculek has a better idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5y_dsP3dsM

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; December 15, 2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old December 16, 2014, 12:47 AM   #17
hartcreek

I just use a couple clear plastic tubs. I use a cup dump the media and brass in a tub pick out the brass then dump in another cup.......
Old December 16, 2014, 02:51 AM   #18
rox

I have both Dillons - a large one for dry media and small for stainless; both are sturdy and well made. As observed, the small one doesn't have the metal brackets on the tub, so the locking pin locates in a recess in the plastic of the tub. It doesn't lock as convincingly as its big brother, but it's no real problem. I do have to spin the small one slowly and carefully to avoid pins flying out though.

Old December 16, 2014, 06:42 PM   #19
Nick_C_S

I like my RCBS. I use it for both corn cob from my vibra-tumble; and for SS pins from wet tumbling. Although I'm sure there's other brands that work well too.
Old December 16, 2014, 07:01 PM   #20
Bucksnort1

Media Separators

Surveyor, if you want to make your dry media last longer, toss a couple of used, not un-used (don't ask me why it has to be used), dryer sheets in when you tumble. The sheets will come out almost black. I paid $5 for that little bit of information. You can also add jeweler's rouge to make cases really shiny or, you can buy media with the rouge in it.

A few years ago, I quit using dry media all together. I now use liquid cleaners in ultra sonic cleaners. In most situations, depending on the condition of the brass, the ultra sonic cleaners will NOT make your brass look like it does from the factory but it will do a darn good job. For me, super-shiny factory results were not an issue. I just want clean decent looking brass.

Harbor Freight has two sizes of ultra-sonic cleaners, large and small. The large will do about 50 or so at a time and the small will do a big handful; I have both. You will find some of the ones you buy from on-line suppliers are exactly the same as Harbor Freight but for more money plus shipping. Cabela's and Bass Pro have them too. At Harbor Freight, you can buy extended warranties or, you can simply take advantage of their one year standard warranty (I believe it's one year) then at the end of the 11th month, return it with no questions asked and buy a new one. You can return even if there is nothing wrong with it.

With ultra sonic cleaners, I quickly learned to de-prime before cleaning because the liquid does a decent job of cleaning primer pockets and it cleans the inside of the case. It isn't perfect but it saves a lot of time and electricity.

You can go to You Tube and watch videos of reloaders who have experimented with various types of cleaning solutions, ones they concoct with off-the-shelf liquids. You can follow their lead or you can do what I do and buy what's available at Cabela's or Bass Pro.

With the ultra sonic cleaners, you can clean a load of brass in about ten minutes or so. Badda Bing, Badda Boom, you're done.

Last edited by Bucksnort1; December 16, 2014 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Additions