The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 27, 2008, 09:28 PM   #1
AutoPistola

How do you rivet on a fixed firing pin (revolver)

I have an old Rossi 971 with a fixed firing pin (like the old S&W's). I broke the firing pin when dry firing (doh!) but got a replacement from M&M gunsmithing (thank you). What kind of tool am I supposed to use to rivet this thing on? Or maybe I should just shell out a few bucks for a gunsmith to do it?
Old November 27, 2008, 11:39 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't recall ever replacing the firing pin on a Rossi, but AFAIK you are correct that it is like the S&W. With the right equipment, the job can be done without even removing the hammer from the frame, but in general it is best to do so. Then you put the hammer down on the steel bench block with the rivet over the appropriate hole and use a small punch to drive out the rivet. If you have also ordered a new rivet (as you should have), just replace the firing pin, install the new rivet and use a cone shaped riveting tool to expand the rivet. If you don't have a new rivet, file down the old one until it will go back in. If you don't have the tools, they can be made or bought, but it might be easier to have a gunsmith do it if you have a good one at hand.

Jim
Old November 27, 2008, 11:50 PM   #3
Swampghost

Jim has good advice. You can also gently 'peen' a rivet or buy a 'spinner' which is a more professional tool. In your case a gunsmith sounds like a good idea because if you don't know what you are doing you can end up with more problems.
Old November 28, 2008, 11:01 AM   #4
AutoPistola

Thanks. I think I could do it myself, but won't because I don't like the idea of using makeshift tools (cone). I don't want to mess up my new rivet because it looks like a specialized piece. Besides, I can have the gunsmith shim the hammer to fix hammer drag at the same time.
Old November 29, 2008, 11:29 PM   #5
AutoPistola

Well, the rivet came out easy enough. Now I just need a rivet expansion tool of some sort...