The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 20, 2016, 01:54 PM   #1
focodude

Feedback requested for iPhone / iPad utility app for firearms and accessories

I'm a software developer who writes mobile applications for iPhone and iPad devices during my day job. I'm also a shooting enthusiast. I own a variety of firearms and accessories and have found it hard to keep track of:

-How many rounds have I fired through a gun?
-When was the last time I cleaned a gun?
-How many rounds have I shot with the current recoil spring?
-How many malfunctions have I had with a particular gun? What was I doing when the malfunction occurred (i.e., ammo type, limp wristing, magazine used, etc...)
-When did I put the battery in my red dot? When should I change the battery?

As a side project, I've been working on an iPhone / iPad application that allows you to enter shooting, cleaning, and maintenance data for each of your guns. You can also enter notes for shooting, cleaning, and maintenance entries. A summary page is displayed for each firearm showing the total rounds fired, last cleaning date, malfunctions, and last maintenance date for each gun. It can display alerts for guns that need to be cleaned based on a threshold that you set. You can view the shooting, cleaning, and maintenance history for each gun.

The app also allows you to enter accessories - such as red dot's, scopes, and lights. You can enter the last battery change date for each accessory. The app calculates an expected battery dead date for accessories that are always on (like red dots). All data stored in the app can be backed up via email.

The app displays pictures of your guns and accessories.

The app is currently being beta-tested. If you have an iPhone or iPad and are interested in trying the app and providing feedback you can download the beta test version here:

https://beta.itunes.apple.com/v1/app/1094869902

Thanks!

Last edited by focodude; March 20, 2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old March 20, 2016, 05:46 PM   #2
redhologram

It sounds like it would be a good add on expansion for GunLog because you can do a lot in GL already and then add in the things you have mentioned that isn't available.
Old March 21, 2016, 01:17 AM   #3
Skeets
Member in memoriam

A Need?

Sure hope your deal bears fruit.A win-win maybe for all of usSkeets
Old March 23, 2016, 09:30 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I like the idea, but I won't give you feedback on it.

Until you come out with an Android version.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Tags
cleaning , history , maintenance , round count