The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 13, 2011, 02:20 AM   #1
mrawesome22

Winchester 22

My father in law gave me this gun and said it's been in the family for years. It's a single shot 22 rolling block with 1885 stamped on it. Does 1885 designate the year or model? It has a probably 3/4 length of the barrel stock and looks to be all original.
Old September 13, 2011, 03:31 AM   #2
Scorch

Winchester never made any rolling blocks. It's no good, send it to me.

Well, if it is indeed a Winchester 1885 in 22LR, it would depend on which Model 1885 it is. There are two possibilities. Winchester 1885 High Walls in 22LR are very rare and can fetch a large sum, possibly up to $15,000 if in good condition. Winchester 1885 Low Wall rifles in 22LR are fairly common, and can fetch a nice sum, from maybe $800 in so-so condition up to $1,500 in good condition. The way to tell the difference is that the Low Wall receivers are smaller, and have a graceful, fluted shape to them that exposes the top 1/3 or so of the breechblock, whereas the High Wall has a more robust receiver that completely encloses the squared-off breechblock.

The Winchester 1885 High Wall falling block action was designed by John Browning in 1876, the Low Wall was a later adaptation of the design for use with less powerful cartridges.
Old September 13, 2011, 03:45 AM   #3
mrawesome22

Sounds like a low wall Scorch. When you "go live" you see about the top one third of the block so I think you nailed it. This gun is about the most beautiful work of art I can imagine anyone could come up with.

Yes it is a completely square block. It has some darn sexy curves to it.
Old September 17, 2011, 11:34 AM   #4
PetahW

It could also be a slightly more common Winder Musket.

Each pic will speak a thousand words....................