The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 28, 2010, 11:40 AM   #1
JTgunner

ww1 do-all clay throwers

Are the ww1 clay throwers any good and since they're 12volt can you hook up a 12v battery charger to them so you don't have to buy a marine battery? I got 4 teenage girls wanting to shoot and we live out in the boondocks far from any shooting range. I thought anything to keep the teens busy is worth putting out some $$. any input would be appreciated.
Old November 28, 2010, 06:33 PM   #2
oneounceload

You will need the battery, as the charger doesn't typically supply the power for each throw. We use solar chargers for our various fields to charge the batteries on our machines
Old November 28, 2010, 06:35 PM   #3
DiscoRacing

if you have that many wanting to shoot.... have one of them use a hand thrower..while the other three shoot....and change off.
Old November 28, 2010, 06:39 PM   #4
golfballshootr

It will need the battery.

Just a little input here, I bought a new Do-All a few years ago, and at first, it wouldn't launch a clay without breaking it. A minor, very minor, bit if tweaking to the throwing arm so that it engages on the flat part of the clay solved this.
Old November 28, 2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Tombstonejim

You could try it. It won't hurt it. If you have a charger that is also designed to be used to jump start it might work. The motor on the DO all pulls a lot of amps when it cocking that spring. I have a large marine battery on mine and it really groans during the cocking process. I do find that the thing actually does not draw the battery down very much and after an hour of so of use it will charge right back up in less than an hour. You could use jumper cables off of a car or truck which should work also.

If you have not bought it one of the manual ones like the ST234 might work just as well. Specially if you have several shooters to swap out the hand loading.

The St 234 will also throw doubles which the WW1 will not.

Last edited by Tombstonejim; November 28, 2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old November 29, 2010, 11:52 AM   #6
JTgunner

ww1 amps

how much amps does the ww1 clay thrower pull. can I use and 110v to 12v inverter since we're close to power and hook it up that way. just need to know the amps. can't seem to find the specs online anywhere. Thanks for all the help. this is a very useful forum.
Old November 29, 2010, 01:01 PM   #7
BitterTait

I won't hazard a guess on the amperage, but unless it's ridiculously high amperage you could convert a PC power supply to run it. You can get one that claims up to 60 amps at 12 volts for reasonably cheep, although unless it's high end I'd be surprised if it could reliably pull more than 30. Conversion is resonably easy if you know how to solder, with the added bonus that you can teach your girls how to solder as well.