The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2009, 08:39 PM   #1
XD45Sooner

Which powder and reloading manual?

My girlfriend just got me a lee reloading kit for my birthday. It has everything I need to start relaoding...I think. Anyways, the manual that came with it doesnt really give directions on how to reload and it only has loads for 3 different bullets in 45 ACP, which is what i want to relod. So can someone reccomend a reloading manual that is good? Also, what powder should I use for 45 ACP? I want to use winchester primers...which ones do I get?

Smith and Wesson 1911SC Stainless-45ACP, Glock 19-9mm, Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8"- .357 Magnum
Old February 22, 2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Kato_Guy

I do not reload much for pistols. I started out with the lee book and kit as well. I will suggest going to your local library and check out the ABC's of reloading. It will teach you most everything you need to know to get started. A little boring to read but very informative! Lyman makes a real good manual that is worth the money!!

kyle
Old February 22, 2009, 10:50 PM   #3
blackhawk45

Buy several manuals,and study them ,then pick a powder,bullet,case,and primer,and start loading,and for heaven sakes,DON'T load over MAXIMUM !!
Old February 22, 2009, 10:52 PM   #4
zxcvbob

Lyman's 48th or 49th reloading manual is a great beginners guide. Read it cover to cover. (you might even find a copy in the library.) Pay special attention to the beginning couple of chapters.

Bullseye powder is a good one for .45ACP, and you can load from light target loads to full-power with it. It is very fine flakes, which measures pretty well in most powder measures. Hodgdon's Universal is supposed to be good too.

You need "large pistol" primers (not magnum), and any brand will work. It's possible (but unlikely) that your empty brass is from "Win NT" ammo, in which case it takes small pistol primers. You can tell by looking.
Old February 23, 2009, 02:30 AM   #5
tom234

+1 on the Lyman's manual; great for lead bullets loads that are idea for .45 ACP.
Old February 23, 2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Sam06

Get 3 at least

If I was you I would get at least 3 loading manuals. I like the ones from bullet company's as they have a wider selection of powders tested and they usually will point out the best load for their test weapon. Also they test with an actual gun not a test rig so the velocities are much closer. My choice would be:

Lyman- good loads for cast bullets and it has some good info in it about reloading.
Sierra- very good load manual and they make most of the bullets I use
Hornady- Another good manual that has some very good data other than loads in it.
With those 3 and the little powder booklets you can pick up free you will be set.

**The other thing I highly recommend is to get the loadbook for the caliber/s you are loading for. These are relatively cheap and have MOST of the data from the Major manufactures in it***

For some good reading on reloading here are some good books: P.O Ackley's Vol 1&2, Pet Loads, Cartridges of the world, Anything by Phil Sharp. Just remember that the older manuals and books while a good read have outdated data. Most of the powder company's have re-formulated their powders.

Approach all loads with caution. Work up to max loads slowly. Never go less than minimum suggested. Treat all "Internet" loads as if you got them from the Unibomber, or Charles Manson. Have fun and be prepared to get hooked.
Old February 23, 2009, 02:55 PM   #7
WESHOOT2

stuff

Books: Speer / Loadbook / Sierra / Lyman. The very-inexpensive Loadbook is a great add.

Primers: CCI300 or Winchester Large Pistol.

Powders: W231, no discussion.

If you provide specific details about your chosen bullet (and gun) I'm sure we can provide some specific load advice
Old February 23, 2009, 04:47 PM   #8
Sam06

Forgot the powder

I reload 45ACP a lot and I shoot a lot of it also. I compete in 3 gun and IPSC, plus I practice at least 3 times a week before the weekend matches. I shoot around 500 rds a week so my Dillon gets a work out. The powder I have come to like is AA#5. It meters well and is fairly clean. It is consistent and pound for pound a little cheaper than some of the other powders. That said there are some great powders for the 45 ACP. Is there a best powder, I am not sure but I would say that WW231 and tight group come close.
All are good but I got a good deal on AA#5 and it shoots good in the 4 guns I load it for.
Old February 23, 2009, 11:00 PM   #9
MASTERSPYDOG

ref 45 loads

xd45sooner
I guess you are loading for an XD45 - I emailed you a load chart where you can get number of reloads data from the powder manuf. If you are loading for an XD45 these guys have a lead round designed just for XD's.
http://www.missouribullet.com/detail...y=13&keywords=

and the load I use for it is 4.7grns of titegroup behind the above lead round.
Just another note XD's do NOT like to eat SWC, any questions you get you can email me at the addy from the prvt email I sent you

to anyone else loading any pistol rounds here is the link to the load data look up that is put out BY THE GROUP MAKING THE POWDERS http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Last edited by MASTERSPYDOG; February 24, 2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old February 24, 2009, 12:13 AM   #10
El Paso Joe

I really like the Lyman. Used one when I started loading in '74 (or so...) and have a recent one. Lots of good info. Also loads for a variety of bullets - not just the company putting out the manual.
Old February 24, 2009, 12:31 AM   #11
butta9999

If you can get your hands on Nick Harvey's latest manual it's worth it. He is the leading gun guru in Australia, does most of the tech write up's for all makes and models for just about anything for guns.

He has reloaded for about 50 years and all his data is field shooting. Not from test barrels in labs. And all rifles used are hunting rifles, no bench rifles.

He is the leading guy here that most people follow.

Nick is also the leading technical editor for most recognized shooting mags in Australia.

Worth getting one shipped over- think the latest volume is 8
Old February 24, 2009, 01:47 AM   #12
Tim R

The Speer manual also has a very good how to and trouble shooting guide. Read the how to section a couple of times and you should have a good idea of what to do.
Old February 24, 2009, 06:39 AM   #13
cgaengineer

Link to Lyman manual http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=823498
Old February 24, 2009, 11:53 AM   #14
James R. Burke

Blackhawk45 is right. Get several or the one for the bullet you will be using, then expand out.
Old February 24, 2009, 12:04 PM   #15
wncchester

Lyman.

If you follow the single cardinal safety instructions to "start low and only work up if no pressure signs appear" it won't matter what specific bullet of a given weight you use. Nor the primer, nor case, nor powder lot, nor OAL you use.