The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2009, 02:37 PM   #1
McBrideGuns

new to reloading

I'm new to the reloading thing but with the way ammo prices are going these days I’m starting to have no other choice and I’m wondering if anyone out there with a little more experience might be able to help me. The main calibers I’m looking to reload are .270 .357 .38spcl and 9mm. Can someone tell me what would be my best setup for this arrangement of calibers? The 9mm, 357 and 38 will be used mostly for home protection so very few rounds at a time probably around 100 to 200 a month. The 270 will be for hunting and target shooting so probably 500-1000 rounds a month. thanks in advance for any help.
Old February 22, 2009, 04:42 PM   #2
markr

I would suggest acquiring and fully reading several reloading manuals, read through forumns such as TFL, and check out some reloading magazines, and catalouges with reloading stuff. Particularly before you spend too much money, and especially before you load the first round.

Everyone will have a different preferance, and I don't know what your budget is but here are my thoughts:

For the money, and the quantity of pistol ammo you want to make, a Lee Classic Cast Turret press would be great. You can also load .270 on it, but it might be frustrating trying to load 500-1000 rounds a month.

For that many rifle rounds, you might want a progressive press that will load large caliber rifle rounds. Again, I don't know how much time you have on your hands or what your budget is. One route for you could be to get yourself the classic turret, and learn how to load each one of those calibers in single stage mode, including the .270. If your still into it, you could get yourself a progressive press to keep set up for .270 and keep the classic turret set up for your pistol rounds, and crank out some pistol ammo in semi progressive mode.

The reason I suggested this route is: It is a good idea to learn each step of the reloading process in single stage so that you understand each step of the process. The Classic Turret is a semi progressive press which can be used in single stage. Once you learn each step, you can crank out some pistol rounds at a decent rate in semi progressive mode. I then suggested moving on to a progressive for the .270 because making 1000 rounds a month on the turret may be an unsurmountable task unless you have a bit of time on your hands.

Washed up 11B1P
Old February 22, 2009, 04:54 PM   #3
markr

I should also mention that, every reloader should have a single stage press somewhere. Wether for load development, de-capping, larger calibers, accuracy loading, etc. You can always learn and develop all your calibers on the single, and move on to doing all your calibers on the same fully progressive press. One caveat may be, if your cranking out 1000 rounds a month in a certain caliber, and everything is set just so, you may not want to monkey around with your press to make 100 rounds of .357, and then have to reset it back up for .270.

Washed up 11B1P
Old February 22, 2009, 04:56 PM   #4
CrustyFN

This link http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238214 will give you a little better understanding of what to expect from the different types of presses. Read it and then come back and you should have an idea and more specific questions. Will be glad to help but need a little more information like budget and how much time do you have to reload.
Rusty
Old February 22, 2009, 08:09 PM   #5
hikingman

Single Stage advantages...

Beginning with single stage, and a used unit is a true advantage if the equip. is good, and you're not wanting to spend hundreds before starting. Contact me if you want suggestions on used equip. Example: My RCBS 44 Magnum (carbide) dies are like new. They were $20 used last month, included shipping! Also, some guys sell their used equip. for very high prices, good for them. However, you can buy new for within $5 what some price a component.
Enjoy.