The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 24, 2016, 03:24 PM   #1
Model12Win

Rolling Block Pistol

Well howdy yall.

I've been doin' me some readin' about single-shot military pistols of the 19th century, mostly about flintlock and percussion guns. But a chapter of the book I'm reading pertains to cartridge firing single shot U.S. military pistols, it seems that after the Civil War the U.S. issued a few different variants of pistol to the Army and Navy, based on the Remington Rolling Block design.

Now ain't that neat? They came in .50 rimfire, which they obviously don't make now. They look like a whoop n' a holler, no doubt. From my reading, it seems Uberti made some replicas of this back in the day, chambered in modern rounds such as the .357 magnum.

What I think we need to do is put a bug in Uberti's ear to have them make these again in .357 magnum, .45 Colt, etc. and I think they'd be a real neat handy target and hunting gun. http://www.uberti.com/contact-us

What'yall think?

Happy Easter!!!
Old March 24, 2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Ozzieman

I vote for 44 special but would buy a 45 Colt,,,,, that darn thing is perddy!

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 24, 2016, 06:48 PM   #3
Model12Win

One in .44 special would be very cool!
Old March 25, 2016, 02:50 AM   #4
gyvel

Quote:
Now ain't that neat? They came in .50 rimfire, which they obviously don't make now.
The Remington Rolling block 50s were centerfire. Original rounds used inside priming. Outside primed ammunition was available commercially up to about 1920.
SIFE
Old March 25, 2016, 03:54 AM   #5
mete

That photo is of the target version .Most popular cartridges were 44 Russian and 22LR. Last production from REmington was about 1908.44 Russian was considered the most accurate CF .
Our 44 Special was derived from the Russian .Interesting pistol but I think low interest . Single shots whether rifle or pistol are not of interest yet if you know how to shoot you rarely need more than one round. I hunt with a Browning 1885 in 45-70 and one round gets my deer !
The pistol ? an interesting gun again in 22lr or 44 Special. Not sure if the magnums would be appropriate.
Old March 25, 2016, 11:03 AM   #6
B.L.E.

Quote:
Not sure if the magnums would be appropriate.
You don't have to shoot magnum ammo in a .357 or .44 magnum though.
.357 magnums chamber and shoot .38 special ammo and .44 magnums chamber and shoot .44 special ammo without a problem.
I have a .44 magnum revolver that only has shot maybe one box of actual .44 magnum ammo, most of the ammo it has consumed has been .44 special or .44 special strength loads in .44 magnum cases. You can also load semi-magnum loads if you want split the difference between the special and magnum loads.
You can even stuff em with black powder if you like.

I have even loaded .44 magnum cases with black powder and .433 lead round balls. (The .44 magnums and specials are actually .429 caliber)
.360 round balls work well in the .38 special and .357 magnum cases. (both are actually .357 caliber guns).
Old March 25, 2016, 06:52 PM   #7
AKexpat

My favorite Remington RB "pistol" has always been the No. 7.

It is a rifle (.22 S/LR and .25-10 Stevens) based upon the Remington 1871 Army pistol, replete with military inspector marks P and S on the left side of the frame (as these were contract overrun frames). The same frame was also used in the 1891 & 1901 RB pistols (without the inspector marks) in .50 Centerfire and .44 Special (Flayderman).

http://merzantiques.com/museum/hard-...ng-block-rifle

http://www.icollector.com/Remington-...rrel_i14160065

http://www.icollector.com/U-S-Reming...lster_i9386936

I like RB's. Way back in the day (1992) I converted a Rem RB #5 rifle from 7mm Mauser (7 x 57) to .45-110 with lots of parts from Numrich and DGW, wood from Reinhart Fajen, an octagonal barrel from I-forget-who, and a reamer from Clymer.

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old March 26, 2016, 03:27 PM   #8
RJay

But, if people didn't buy enough of them to keep them on the market before, what is different now?
Old March 26, 2016, 07:23 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Reproducing guns for a tiny niche market has never been very successful, and I doubt there would be enough interest in a repro of a rolling block pistol to justify making them.

IIRC, there was an old movie about Colts in which the old time sheriff was happy to trade in his single shot pistols on the new-fangled Colt (Dragoon??). Of course his old guns were Model 1871's, which were a generation newer than the percussion Colt.

Jim
Old March 26, 2016, 08:18 PM   #10
Model12Win

Uberti has made these before guys, c'mon. You're killin' me.

It would be great if we could get them to make another run for us who want to own them, and trust me, I've met several who would buy them. We're not asking for them to go back into full production.
Old March 26, 2016, 10:45 PM   #11
Hawg

If you want one that bad hunt up one of the Uberti's made in the 70's. The market niche is too small. Most people wanting a single shot centerfire will opt for a TC Contender with a choice of 40 calibers, all Interchangeable.