The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2009, 09:25 AM   #1
Slingshot

6mm Cobra

Thank you, my 1st posting..I have an Arisaki action that was rebarreled & chambered to a 6mm Cobra as stamped on the Perfection barrel by Easton Rifle Co.. Vol. II of Wildcat Cartridges discuss the 6mm Swift and the 240 Cobra but not the 6mm Cobra. Of the two, which one is the same as the one I have?? Does anyone have any info on the Easton Rifle Co. Loads for or info on reforming .220 Swift brass or since this round does not surpass the Win.243 (have 3)-what about rechambering to a better cartridge. Your thoughts and any info will be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanx,
Slingshot
Old February 18, 2009, 02:23 AM   #2
Scorch

You will have to cast the chamber and compare to the published measurements of each. Or you could rechamber to 6mm Remington.
Old February 22, 2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Slingshot

Thanx for the reply, will look into a rechamber job. Not sure which case though..have enough .243 win.s.....
Slingshot
Old February 22, 2009, 11:58 AM   #4
mkl

You probably have the 240 Cobra, since it was a popular wildcat before the introduction of the 243 Winchester and the 244 Remington.

P.O. Ackley in Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders, Volume I, page 301 has this to say about the 240 Cobra:

Quote:
This was one of the most popular 6mm wildcats before the introduction of the two new factory cartridges. The 240 was originated by Homer Brown and the cases are made by necking the .220 Swift cases up to 6mm and fire forming them to final shape. This cartridge has almost ideal capacity for the 6mm bore and produces relatively high velocity with good barrel life. Being a semi-rimmed case, it requires some magazine alteration on standard bolt actions to make it feed reliably.
He then gives some load data with 75, 85, and 95 grain bullets. Also says the standard twist rate is 12-inches.
Old February 22, 2009, 03:35 PM   #5
Slingshot

Thanx MKL, Would appreciate the load data as I do not have P.O.Ackly's book. I just rec'd a set of dies (completly unmarked) from a seller on Ebay. He was just a seller and offered no info. I ran a couple of Norma 220 swift cases thru them and fire formed with 30gr. and 35grs. of 4064 using 75 gr. Vmax slugs. The first case (30gr.4064) came out black on one side, apparently "blowback" and rounded shoulders. Load with 35grs. 4064 came out much better, ie; sharp shoulders and no carbon..
This barrel is 1 in 12", so probably on the right track. Just wondering if the 240 Cobra is worth working with....Slingshot
[email protected]
Old February 22, 2009, 04:34 PM   #6
mkl

Email sent to the address at the bottom of your post.

PM me if it does or does not arrive.

Good shooting...

mkl