The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2009, 09:08 AM   #1
Doby45

40cal Load data

Does anyone have load data on the following:

40 cal 165gr Precision Delta FP FMJ
Titegroup
Mixed brass
CCI SPP
Glock 23
Target Rounds

The Hodgdon data site has info for a FMJHP and I was not sure if the data would be the same for the FP/Truncated Cone target round. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Doby45; February 22, 2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old February 22, 2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Shoney

I have always treated all jacketed bullets with the same load data. Always start low and work up. Each loading manual will give different starting and max loads, so I never max out the loads.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 22, 2009, 12:00 PM   #3
RickV

I am not using Titegroup with my PD 165g FMJs. I use w231 but with my M&P 40 I found that using starting loads would not cycle the gun. With .2g more gun would cycle but were the ejected brass would go was always an adventure. With .2g more gun cycled perfectly this was .2g below maximum load for the W231. Not sure if this helps but semis need a little more to cycle properly.
Old February 22, 2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Doby45

I appreciate the replies and especially the FMJ info. I was not sure if the HP or FP made a difference. I will be working my load up from the Hodgdon data, starting at 4.6gr Titegroup. I am looking at trying to get roughly 1014ft from the round which should put it approx 4.8gr. This is a load that I have been shooting for a few years from Georgia-Arms and I like the characteristics and it works well in both my G23 and G35 for range work.
Old February 22, 2009, 02:38 PM   #5
SL1

Doby45 wrote:
Quote:
I was not sure if the HP or FP made a difference.
Well, it CAN. The reason is that a hollowpoint bullet must be a little longer than a flatpoint bullet of the same weight, because the hollow takes some room inside the bullet. So, for the same overall cartridge length, the hollowpoint must sit deeper in the case and leave less room for the powder. That makes the pressure higher.

How much higher depends on how big the hollow is. It does not take much change in seating depth to cause big changes in pressure for small cases like 9 mm and 40 S&W.

So, if you substitute bullets of the same weight but different shape in these cartridges, you should adjust the seating depth so that the substitued bullet leaves as much room inside the case as the bullet for which you have data. Often that adjustment is something less than 0.050", but that is enough difference to really matter.

As an example, I ran a Quickload calc with the Hornady 180 gr HAP bullet and set the charge to produce 35,000 psi (the SAAMI max for this cartidge). Then I substituted the Hornady XTP-HP, which seats 0.020" deeper for the same COL of 1.135". The pressure for the same charge shot up 5335 psi to over 40,000 psi!

More scary, there is another 180 grain .40 pistol bullet in the QuickLoad library called "Hornady FMJ-FPENC." I don't understand what that is, but it is even longer and seats 0.046" deeper in the case for the same COL. The same charge of of powder with THAT bullet calculates out to a pressure of over 50,000 psi!

So, YES, substituting bullets of different shapes in this cartridge can get you into BIG trouble, even though they are the same weight.

SL1