The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 24, 2002, 12:01 AM   #1
gnlw

Bianchi Pistol Pocket: Comments?

Has anyone used this holster, and if so, how do you like it? I'm considering a left-handed one for a Sig 239. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old November 25, 2002, 03:18 AM   #2
evildoc

I have Bianchi Pistol Pockets for most of my guns. Think of them as a "Summer Special" but with a thumbsnap. Very comfortable for my body shape.
Old November 26, 2002, 02:18 AM   #3
blades67

I've been carrying my SIG Sauer P226 and P220 a #3S left-hand for six years. It works for me.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old November 26, 2002, 02:19 AM   #4
Archer1440

I used one for a short time for my Springfield TRP, while waiting for my custom rig.

I very quickly cut off the stupidly designed (for a 1911) thumb break, which could not be engaged without it popping the safety in the holster.

It moves around too much, or I have lost too much weight, not sure which. Cannot seem to cinch down the rotating feature tightly enoughh to keep the silly thing from changing angle. This might make it more comfortable, but it sucks when you're trying to get into your drawstroke.

Sight channel insufficient for the Novak front on my TRP. I found myself staring at a big clump of dead cow instead of trijicon front blade every time I drew.

Sorry, I don't see much to like about this one.
Old November 27, 2002, 03:27 PM   #5
AK103K

I had that holster for my P7 and 1911. I agree with Archer1440 on the moving around to much and the safety problem on the 1911. With pistols that are short barreled and top heavy like the P7, if you carry it cross draw and bend over, it will flop out and be hanging upside down on your belt. Of the two guns, it worked better with the 1911, but I didnt use either long. Personally, I think your better off with a Kydex IWB. The leather is harder on the gun, and you, especially when wet. The Kydex is much more comfortable, especially against bare skin. It wont let your gun get wet. Once the leather holster is wet, forget it, its not getting dry anytime soon. The Kydex holds securely without need for a strap and doesnt close up when the gun is out, no matter how tight your belt is. Kydex also doesnt have that leather "creak" when you walk or move, especially when new, and/or with a leather belt.
Old November 27, 2002, 04:50 PM   #6
PeacefulWarrior

I had one a few years ago for a J frame Smith. It was a good holster but sometimes when I would draw the weapon the holster would come untucked from my pants. I don't think that should happen with the Sig though because it is longer and more of the holster will be inside your waistband. What I did like about it was the adjustable angle. Not a bad holster for the price.
Old November 28, 2002, 12:14 AM   #7
gnlw

Thanks for the replies everyone. By the way, is the leather around the top of the holster metal-reinforced? Thanks again.
Old November 28, 2002, 12:17 PM   #8
evildoc

Yes the top of the holster is metal reinforced. I got a Bianchi Pistol Pocket for an S&W 669 in 1986. This pistol has a 3 1/2 inch barrel and because it holds 12 plus one, all the weight is in the grip. Granted, I wasn't wearing a good stiff leather belt at the time, but I initally had problems with the holster and gun flopping over and out of my pants when bending over, etc. I fixed that by having the belt loop cut shorter (to fit a 1 3/4 inch gun belt) and having new metal snaps attached. I still have this holster, very well broken in, and I carry daily either the 669, a 6906 or a 3913 in it. If anyone has a used Pistol pocket for these guns that they don't want, I would be interested in buying it