The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 22, 2022, 08:29 PM   #1
reynolds357

Federal Gold Medal 308

What is the closest canister grade load to the Fed 168 Gold Medal match ammo?
I have never met a rifle that wouldn't shoot that ammo.
Old November 23, 2022, 06:32 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Federal 210M primer, Federal case, 43.5 grains of IMR 4064 under the 168-grain SMK seated to 2.800" COL. That is what I've measured in the past.

Federal claims, incidentally, that they have special understanding of how to make brass for best accuracy (mentioned in and old ATK presentation on the M316 mod. 0 sniper round). Also mentioned in that presentation is that Federal ordered it's powder special for the military ammo, adding flash suppressant in that instance, but it also opens the possibility that they might order tighter burn rate tolerances or other special treatment, so there is no guarantee you will get there exactly by copying that recipe.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 23, 2022, 06:42 PM   #3
RKG

My load for a Savage Model 12 VLP is 42.2 grains of Reloder 15 pushing a 168 grain SMK, CCI LR, and all charges trickled. COAL: 2.791".

A few years ago, my LGS gave me some Federal .308 GMM and some PPU Match (which, as near as I could tell, also used the 168 grain SMK) and asked me to compare the two factory rounds. What I found was that there was no significant delta between the GMM and the PPU, and that my handloads outshot both by a small, but significant, margin. If it matters, at the time it was summer (low 80s) and not very much wind. Range was 300 yards.
Old November 23, 2022, 07:30 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

I think the thing the Federal round has always had going for it is just that it works quite well in almost all 308s, regardless of type and barrel length. It won't beat a load individually tuned to a particular gun, of course, but, provided the gun and shooter are up to it, it will stay in the ten ring of targets in most all match courses that are not beyond 600 yards. This sparked Dan Newberry's OCW load concept. It is interesting to hear the PPU offering is up to it, too.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 23, 2022, 08:44 PM   #5
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKG View Post
My load for a Savage Model 12 VLP is 42.2 grains of Reloder 15 pushing a 168 grain SMK, CCI LR, and all charges trickled. COAL: 2.791".

A few years ago, my LGS gave me some Federal .308 GMM and some PPU Match (which, as near as I could tell, also used the 168 grain SMK) and asked me to compare the two factory rounds. What I found was that there was no significant delta between the GMM and the PPU, and that my handloads outshot both by a small, but significant, margin. If it matters, at the time it was summer (low 80s) and not very much wind. Range was 300 yards.
I shot some PPU 168 few years ago. They wouldn't hit the side of a barn if I was shooting from the inside with the doors closed.
Old November 23, 2022, 08:47 PM   #6
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
I think the thing the Federal round has always had going for it is just that it works quite well in almost all 308s, regardless of type and barrel length. It won't beat a load individually tuned to a particular gun, of course, but, provided the gun and shooter are up to it, it will stay in the ten ring of targets in most all match courses that are not beyond 600 yards. This sparked Dan Newberry's OCW load concept. It is interesting to hear the PPU offering is up to it, too.
Fully agree. That is why it interests me. It shoots in everything I have ever tried it in.