The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 8, 2009, 02:32 AM   #1
jesus5150

Multiple BG's

So last night i was walking to my car after leaving the gym, as i approached my car a guy walked toward me at my 12:00, and two guys came out from behind two seperate cars, one at my 10:30 and one at my 2:30, they all had eye contact on me. Since there's 2 feet of snow on the ground the plows are having trouble keeping up and i had to park 3 blocks away in an alley. I was alone so when i saw them quickly approachin i stopped, dropped my gym bag and unclipped my holster button and firmly asked their business. They all stopped, sized me up and turned around and went thier seperate ways saying nothing.... I couldn't help but think that if they had drawn their weapons, i wouldn't have known what to do, except to take cover behind the nearest car (Which was a red Cavalier on my 4:30, i was really proud of myself to have identified that with my periferal vision. I had always thought that if it ever came down to it, i'd have gotten tunnel vision.) anyway, how do you effectively control crowd?

That was the most puckering situation i've ever experienced and i did NOT enjoy it. But Damn i'm glad i had my Trusty USP with me or i'd have most certainly been in trouble.
Old January 8, 2009, 03:13 AM   #2
flipexed

You were prepared and kept your head. I'm glad you are safe.

This happened in spokane? Damn! I'm here in Lacey, Wa... just had a neighbors van broken in yesterday. Times are tough these days... BG's are coming out everywhere.
Old January 8, 2009, 03:52 AM   #3
jesus5150

Yeah it's lame, i also had my window smashed out in my truck.... Good thing i pay for full coverage. Got more than everything was worth back. My insurance has to replace everything with "new items" I thought that was pretty cool
Old January 8, 2009, 06:58 AM   #4
Lee Lapin

3 on 1? I'd say you WERE in trouble... but you managed it.

If it happens again, don't forget to do a quick check on your six too... there might be yet another one behind you.

lpl
Old January 8, 2009, 08:10 AM   #5
George PT-111

Question, when you placed your hand on the gun was it obvious that you had a gun or you made it look like you were doing something else? Also what did you ask them?
Old January 8, 2009, 10:04 AM   #6
Sparks2112

I had a similar experience with 1 BG in a wal-mart parking lot. Good job. I'm sure some pretty regular posters here are going to chime in shortly and tell you you over reacted, there was no threat, "I shoot guns not flash-lights" (direct dig), etc...

Ignore them. You made it home, and didn't shoot anyone. That's the goal.
J.M. Johnston
Old January 8, 2009, 11:05 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Good job. No body gets shot and we're left wondering "Are they really BGs?" and that's the way it should be. If you KNOW it's a BG (meaning you're under attack), you probably saw them too late. Turned out just the way it should in this case.
Old January 8, 2009, 11:14 AM   #8
George PT-111

Question,

when you placed your hand on the gun was it obvious that you had a gun or you made it look like you were doing something else?

Also what did you ask them?
Did they say anything to you before or after?

Also question for others, if you think you are being approached by BG, do you put your hand on the grip so BG see that you have a gun or you just wait 'till it's get bad to draw it quick???
Old January 8, 2009, 11:19 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

When I carried, I would "cover" my gun without exposing it. I was real close to having it out and ready.
Brent
Old January 8, 2009, 11:55 AM   #10
Keltyke

You did good. Good awareness. No one got shot.

In that area/situation, I would have probably already drawn by the time I was asking their business. Not pointed or aimed, just held it down by my side while clicking the safety off.

I've done some measuring. An average human, running full out, can cover about 30 feet in 2 seconds. That's two mini-van lengths (for reference), and 2 seconds is the amount of time we're supposed to be able to draw and get a shot off. Don't let'em get too close.

+1 on checking 6.
Old January 8, 2009, 11:56 AM   #11
besafe2

To the op:
Great job on all parts. You went home & were not hurt
Old January 8, 2009, 12:40 PM   #12
Hawaiian Eye

Good work and SA.
Paraphrasing a great quote, "The best gun fight is the one you didn't have to shoot."
Old January 8, 2009, 05:48 PM   #13
jesus5150

My hand.

I Didn't think, my hand just went to my handle, i unbuttoned it and pulled it out probably and inch or two to make sure it wasn't stuck or obstructed by anything incase they didn't stop advancing... I'm sure it was obvious, but based on their reaction (Or the lack there-of) i think they thought i was bluffing. I looked at the guy in front of me, and as loud and as tough as i could i said "what the F*CK do you want?!" (but my tone of voice said, i don't know you and i'm not messing around here...) and i looked at the other two afterward so they knew the statement went for them too. They stood there for a second and then turned around and split up. I picked my bag up with my weak hand and walked to my car with gun out. (Yes they were gone, but i hadn't seen WHERE they'd gone) I started it and got the heck out of there. I was so shakey that i couldn't find my key hole or button my holster. It sucked.

Last edited by jesus5150; January 8, 2009 at 07:07 PM.