The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 13, 2007, 10:27 AM   #1
dad23honu

Tight 223 Primer Pockets

Hi All:

I've been loading pistol cartridges (40S&W, 10mm, 9mm) for about a year. Two months ago, I started loading .308. So far, everything has gone perfectly.

Now, I'm loading .223 for my AR and Mini-14.

When I look into the primer pockets of LC headstamped and FC headstamped brass, there looks to be a little band or ring. It almost looks as if some stuck a very very small wedding band in the primer pocket. Sometimes, this band looks to be real thick, sometimes it looks thinner. My RP headstamped brass doesn't have this band.

Again, I've loaded up about 200 pieces of .308 & thousands and thousands of pistol rounds....and I've yet to have problems seating primers in those.

I'm finding it almost impossible to seat primers in 99% of the LC and FC headstamped casings. The RP headstamped casings are no problem. I've picked out a handful (10 out of 50) of the "wedding ringed" casings that look like they have thinner bands, and I've seated primers in those with reasonable success.

A few questions:

1) What are those bands and what are they for?
2) Why don't the RP headstamped casings have them?
3) Why do the bands vary in size? Some look reallly thick. Others look visibly thinner.
4) In many casings, the band thickness is inconsistent; that is, the band thinner on one side than the other.
5) What do I do?

Looking forward to all of your advice. I'm going to sit tight until I hear from you all.

Thanks in advance!!
I'm the most pleasant mother pheasant plucker that ever plucked a mother pheasant.
Old May 13, 2007, 11:17 AM   #2
Shoney

Military Specs require brass to be thicker and have the primers crimped. This is done to prevent case rupture and/or the primer from coming out of the case and jamming the rifle mechanism. Under battle conditions, barrels can be obstructed and cause over pressure, which might blow primers if they were not tightly crimped.

In order to load them, the crimp must be removed. There are two tools that will remove crimp by swaging the pocket, Dillon and RCBS make them.

Dillons Super Swage 600 is very good and very expensive, but if you plan to do 5-10K it may be worth it.
http://dillonprecision.com/template/...5&min=0&dyn=1&

RCBS tool is
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=880694

If you do not have thousands to do, the crimp can be remove by hand while you watch TV, by using a chamfer/debur tool, primer pocket cleaner/reamer, or other similar tool.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 13, 2007, 12:42 PM   #3
rn22723

Brass in the 223 is not always thicker because it is crimped or mil spec for that matter! Go weigh some crimped 223 WW brass. The big wt shift comes in larger calibers ie 308 and 06. This weight thing in 223 is mainly irrelevant.

They crimp primers so that they do not blow out of the case, and then the spent primer can lock up the trigger mechanism.

FC brass is soft, and so a fellar will not have good case life.

LC is great brass to mess with your time and energy.
Old May 13, 2007, 04:03 PM   #4
dad23honu

Is LC and FC brass considered crimped? Is that what the band-thing is? I thought I knew what crimped primer pockets is. Maybe I don't. Can someone post a pic of a military crimped primer pocket? I don't believe that my brass fits in this category. There's nothing to swage or ream, in my opinion.

I'm hoping someone out there will answer my specific questions, that I listed. What is that band-thing in the primer pocket all about?
I'm the most pleasant mother pheasant plucker that ever plucked a mother pheasant.
Old May 13, 2007, 04:26 PM   #5
CrustyFN

The one on the left is crimped. It needs to be removed before you can reprime the case. Shoney gave you the three best options.
Rusty
Old May 13, 2007, 07:00 PM   #6
tbtrout

I use a case mouth chamfer tool to remove the crimp. A quick twist and it is gone.
Old May 13, 2007, 08:28 PM   #7
mc223

The "band thing" is a crimp and can easily be removed with a chamfer tool and a hand drill or drill press. It does not have to be a chamfer tool made by the reloading tool makers. One from the local hardware store that is slightly larger than the crimp will work fine. It does not take a lot of effort to remove the crimp. Try a few and then seat primers to know when you got it.
Old May 13, 2007, 09:06 PM   #8
dad23honu

Hey All:

Thanks!!!!

I didn't realize that the band-thing-a-ma-bob-do-hicky was the "crimp". Thanks to you all for setting me straight.

I set up a primer pocket reamer on my drill and I'm just chamfering the pocket a bit. The primers are popping right in like I know what I'm doing.

I guess I had the wrong picture in my mind of a "crimp."

I just seated 50 primers so I'm good to go. No need to follow up on this thread.

Again, thanks to you all for your info.

Don
Old May 13, 2007, 09:18 PM   #9
cheygriz

Do yourself a favor, and get a Dillon super Swage, and be done with it!

They'll last several lifetimes, and I can usually get 500-600 pockets per hour swaged without hurrying. And it works on all MilSurp cases. .308, .30-06, .223, .45ACP, 9MM, etc, etc, etc. Well worth the money.
Old May 14, 2007, 07:51 AM   #10
40SIG

Quote:
Do yourself a favor, and get a Dillon super Swage, and be done with it!
I couldn't agree more . It's money well spent.
Old May 14, 2007, 04:52 PM   #11
CrustyFN

If you have a lot to do and plan on doing more in the future then the Dillon super Swage is the way to go.
Ruty