The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 3, 2012, 08:11 PM   #51
ltc444

I think I know the stretch of road you were traveling. The trooper was looking for DUI. Those guys up in NW AR are generally good guys.
Old April 3, 2012, 08:53 PM   #52
Bel5191

Anyone know what the regs are in PA?
Old April 4, 2012, 08:44 AM   #53
WildBill45

http://articles.philly.com/2012-03-0...al-rights-city

A lot of cops are not up on carry gun laws, as you can see above! They purposely put such at the bottom of the training list in my opinion...

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old April 4, 2012, 08:50 AM   #54
WildBill45

Cumberland county PA

Safety and Law Enforcement Officers

For the safety of our Law Enforcement Officers and the aversion of embarrassing situations, please remember these important tips:
When dealing with Law Enforcement Officers, always inform the officer immediately that you are carrying a weapon and keep your hands in plain sight.
If carrying concealed and you are pulled over on a traffic stop, again, immediately inform the officer and keep both hands on the steering wheel and in plain sight.

http://www.ccpa.net/index.aspx?NID=3094

Old April 4, 2012, 08:54 AM   #55
WildBill45

Pa requirement to announce on traffic stop

Re: announcing you are carrying concealed to a police officer during a traffic stop?
i don't feel like looking up threads, but DON'T tell the officer you are carrying unless you feel he is likely to see your weapon! here in PA, we have NO obligation to inform police of our carry, and doing so unnecessarily is likely to cause problems for you.

This is from a Pa website if that helps:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...ffic-stop.html

Old April 4, 2012, 09:09 AM   #56
zxcvbob

WidBill, there doesn't seem to be a consensus
Old April 4, 2012, 09:20 AM   #57
WildBill45

Quote:
WidBill, there doesn't seem to be a consensus
No there isn't, but good sense and good tips can help!

Old April 4, 2012, 02:27 PM   #58
brickeyee

Quote:
For the safety of our Law Enforcement Officers and the aversion of embarrassing situations, please remember these important tips:
When dealing with Law Enforcement Officers, always inform the officer immediately that you are carrying a weapon and keep your hands in plain sight.
If carrying concealed and you are pulled over on a traffic stop, again, immediately inform the officer and keep both hands on the steering wheel and in plain sight.
Your superiors have spoken.

Now obey their wishes.
Old April 4, 2012, 03:26 PM   #59
zincwarrior

Quote:
Re: announcing you are carrying concealed to a police officer during a traffic stop?
i don't feel like looking up threads, but DON'T tell the officer you are carrying unless you feel he is likely to see your weapon! here in PA, we have NO obligation to inform police of our carry, and doing so unnecessarily is likely to cause problems for you.

This is from a Pa website if that helps:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...ffic-stop.html
interesting. In Texas you are required to inform the officer, else its a crime (misdemeanor though I think). I think you have to actually present your CHL license at the same time. Further, in Texas, when they run your driver's license the CHL will come up.
Old April 6, 2012, 10:54 AM   #60
brickeyee

Quote:
In Texas you are required to inform the officer, else its a crime (misdemeanor though I think). I think you have to actually present your CHL license at the same time. Further, in Texas, when they run your driver's license the CHL will come up.
You MUST know the laws of the jurisdiction you are carrying in.

In states you are not required to notify, it may (or may not) be in your best interest to notify.

A simple traffic stop for a headlight or illegal turn might NOT be cause to notify.

More significant things might be.

Even the police try to imply you MUST notify in a state it is not required in, just be polite.

While irritating a cop is not a crime, they CAN make your day difficult.
Old April 6, 2012, 11:51 AM   #61
BlueTrain

Remember, James, you have a permit to carry a gun; not to disobey the traffic regulations.

Besides, you might get strip searched, too.
Buy War Bonds.
Old April 8, 2012, 11:31 AM   #62
m&p45acp10+1

In Texas on a traffic stop it is advisable if you are carrying to inform the officer. Also note that in Texas it is legal to carry concealed in your car, going from your home to your car, and going into and from your place of buisness without having a CHL. I just hand the officer my CHL on top of my drivers License. They notice it, and ask "do you have your gun on you." I respond with "yes it is (where ever it is) how would you like to proceed?"

So far every time was uneventful. None of them were harassing. Most oogled my guns. All of them seemed to drool over a couple of my guns. More than one local has come to the range to shoot some of mine when I invited them to come and shoot my guns on my dime.
Old April 8, 2012, 07:00 PM   #63
masotti

Here in Washington State, it is my understanding that if you are carrying you hand over your both your drivers license and your concealed carry license at the same time. That is why I keep them both in my wallet. Difference between me and others is I only ride a motorcycle. So I am always carrying concealed.
Old April 9, 2012, 10:41 AM   #64
FTG-05

Alabama is a "must inform if asked" state. Hence, if and when pulled over by an LEO, he will get the usual DL, registration and insurance, all ready before he gets to my window, and that's it. He has no business knowing if I have a cell phone, tools, spare parts, ham radio or a firearm in my vehicle - it's simply none of his business.

The only exceptions are if he asks or asks me to step out of the vehicle.
Old April 10, 2012, 09:31 PM   #65
Willie Sutton

It comes to mind that a useful resource would be to include the requirement or non-requirement for advising LEO's when stopped in any of the recoprocity resources, IE: the online resources published both privately, and by many of the states that issue CCW's. What is the norm in Florida (no need to tell) would be a felony in Ohio. What other landmines might be waiting to biter someone carrying thru a state with rules different than home?

Willie

>
Old April 10, 2012, 10:25 PM   #66
tom49

this is michigan law.. An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.

Failure to disclose this information to a police officer carries the following penalties:

First offense = State Civil Infraction - $500 fine and 6-month CPL license suspension.
Second offense = State Civil Infraction - $1000 fine and CPL license revocation.

An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall have the license in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.

Failure to possess CPL license when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and a $100.00 fine.
Old April 12, 2012, 02:32 PM   #67
Roland Thunder

Georgia car law

In Georgia you do not have to have a ccw to have a handgun in your car. However, you do have to be eligible to obtain a ccw, even if you don't have one, to transport a handgun in your car. My understanding is (I was told by a police officer) that, if eligible, you can have a handgun anywhere in your car in the open or hidden, it doesn't matter.

Before the law was amended recently, you had to have the gun in the open (like laying on the seat) if you didn't have a ccw.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I do know the law has changed recently, please verify before commenting.

Last edited by Roland Thunder; April 12, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old April 16, 2012, 02:01 AM   #68
Tactical Jackalope

Usually never goes that casually. -__-
Old May 4, 2012, 06:53 PM   #69
WildBill45

Quote:
Usually never goes that casually. -__-
Neither does calculus, but you train that way and then think on your feet ... you can never cover all circumstances or "What If's" just make thinking and fighting men out of boys and let them play is my technique!

Old May 4, 2012, 07:08 PM   #70
Denezin

Im not a ccw permit holder but here in NC open carry is legal in your vehicle. So i keep it on the seat beside me. Now the times ive been stopped at dui road blocks i put it on the dash where its extremely visible. And when i roll up i always told him first so he knew it was there loaded etc. never once had a problem or a time when they took the firearm to check it. Honest truely is the best policy.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:07 PM   #71
dstryr

I recently bought my first pistol and keep it in my truck most of the time. I have not been pulled over in several years but one thing that seems to always put an officer at ease is having all my windows down, interior lights all on if at night and wait with hands on the wheel until I am addressed.

Tinted windows are difficult to see through day or night. In my mind, I'd appreciate being able to see into a vehicle much more easily. I usually get nailed for speed, I'm the guy doing everything I can to get out of the redneck nascar pack of highway/interstate drivers. It is true, there is safety in numbers, except on the road... If I do get pulled over, my plan is to present both DL and permit and go from there.

http://www.dstryr.com/
Old May 5, 2012, 03:26 AM   #72
1911Alaska

Here in Alaska, as many of you may know. We do not need a concealed carry license. If you are 21 you can carry a concealed weapon with no issues. It doesn't have to be in your name. If someone wants to, they can get a Concealed Carry License but like I said it is not required. Even though I will be getting one in June after i turn 21.
Here in Alaska the law is weird. You have to be 21 to buy a handgun and to buy handgun ammo. But if somebody over 21 buys one, they can legally sell it to you if you are over 18 or give it to you as a gift, even though you are not 21. And if you are over 18 but not 21 yet, you are allowed to carry one with you. But you must open carry it.

Only requirement here is, you must immediately tell the officer that you have a weapon in the car. If you do not, it is a misdemeanor I believe.
Old May 27, 2012, 01:03 AM   #73
Lambdebois

The instructor at the class I took advised us to wait until the officer walks up before we dig around for anything for reasons mentioned above. When he does get to the window. Simply say " Officer. I want to let you know that I am a licensed CCW holder and I do have a *firearm* on me. What would you like me to do?"

He told us he would HIGHLY recomend NOT using the word gun. His feelings were that the word gun was something that is what an officer hears and will yell when a bad guy has a gun or something bad to alert other officers. That it can almost set off alarm bells.... Where the word firearm may simply be a better choice.
Old May 27, 2012, 02:14 PM   #74
zxcvbob

I drive fast but pretty careful. So I get speeding tickets about once every 10 years (used to be a lot more frequently when I was much younger.) My last one was a year ago, and I was carrying.

After we both pulled over and before the deputy got out of his car, I got my wallet out of my back pocket and put it on the dash, and grabbed the registration and insurance papers from behind the visor. Then I rolled my window down halfway and waited with both hands on the wheel. If this had been at night, I would have done the same thing except first would have turned the dome light on.

I never did tell him I was armed because he never asked me to get out of the truck nor anything where I'd have to move around and maybe expose it. It's not required here, so why add unnecessary complications to things? If I had to get out or go dig for something, I would've handed him my license to carry first. (don't say the word "gun". "Firearm" or "weapon" might be OK but I prefer to let him see my goodguy card first)
Old May 27, 2012, 06:46 PM   #75
chucknbach

Quote:
Nothing is quite as stimulating to an Officer when a driver opens his glove compartment and a pistol falls out. (Personal experience while I was conducting a traffic stop)
If this was about 10 to 11 years ago on the I-10 in Phoenix. Green Honda Accord and you checked me for tattoos cuz someone was using my identity in California. That was me. Sorry forgot it was in there. The wife's car my truck had a flat that morning.

If'n I were a cop the only gun I think I'd be worried about would be the one in someones hand and if I've made it to the window I would feel safe from the more dangerous ones.

I personally don't think it's anybodies business if you have a gun in the car. As long as you don't open the glove compartment with a gun in there right in front of him. If an officer shows up at your front door do you tell him you have guns in the house?