The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 12, 2011, 10:33 PM   #1
45ForLife

.45 ACP Load Help

Hello all!

When I was a kid, I helped my dad reload a lot. I've dusted off the equipment and I've been setting up, reading and preparing to get started up again.

Let me say that the primary reason I'm reloading is due to cost of ammunition. Please, no lectures about getting .22 ammo... it's just not the same. My primary firearm is a Springfield XD .45

I've read the load data, but a lot of it is very "brand" specific. Since I'm looking at getting the cost down, here's what a ton of research and number crunching has brought me to. I want to use:

My once fired brass, mostly Winchester
Wolf Large Pistol Primers
Alliant Promo powder starting at 4.5 and going to 5.0 grains
230gr FMJ Zero brand bullet (0.451 dia)

My concerns are numerous. Promo says it has the same burn rate as Red Dot, so I'm using Red Dot load data since I can't really find anything that specifically says "Promo." Zero brand and Wolf primers simply aren't listed in any of the load data I can find.

I do understand that I have to use a different volume (CC) of Promo to get the same weight (grains) as Red Dot. (I have a scale, I'll be using it.)

If this load is OK, do I have to adjust anything to switch it to a JHP of the same weight?

What OAL should I go by?

Suggestions? Comments? Concerns? Am i still in one piece? Is my pistol?

Thanks in advance!
Old October 12, 2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Adamantium

The best way to account for the variables you are encountering it so start from a reduce load (90%) and working it up to max while watching for pressure signs. This is the best way to substitute a primer, FMJ for JHP of the same weight, brass brand, etc.

For Promo you will just use the Red Dot data. 4.5 to 5.0 max matches up with my 2004 Alliant manual as well. The different density won't affect you if you are using a scale.

OAL length is a guideline and if you are going off a JHP load the OAL is going to be off. Look on Remington or Federals website and see what they are using as a OAL for 230 FMJ load and start with that.

Did I miss something?
Old October 13, 2011, 04:57 AM   #3
Habaz72

For OAL I set my bullet seating die up using a factory round of the same bullet profile then I made a dummy round (no primer and now powder). Next I dropped them both into the barrel of my disassembled pistol and compared the results looking for how freely they dropped in and how much of the bullet was still visible out the back of he chamber. Lastly I put the live round away and assembled the pistol and chambered the dummy round from my magazine then ejected it by hand cycling the slide to make sure it functioned. I keep that dummy round to check my die again every time I pull out the loading gear.