The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 2009, 12:24 AM   #1
Sixer

9mm groups (Pic)

Alright, I'm pretty new to reloading and haven't focused much on getting good groups yet. My main concern thus far is that I leave the range with all the fingers I brought in with me. So far so good.

Today I deciced to try out my loads and see what kind of group I could get at 25 yards.

*Please note that I am a terrible shot and most likely could not even graze the head of a sillouette off hand at 25yds... So I don't shoot at this distance often. I shot this group while resting the butt of my gun on the range platform / table thing.

Anyway, I thought this was pretty good for 25yds...

I know this probably wouldn't cut it for a rifle cartridge... But could I ask for a whole lot more out of a 9mm at this distance? Thanks!

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old June 7, 2009, 12:36 AM   #2
Scorch

Looks workable to me. Any one of those shots would end an argument pretty quick.
Old June 7, 2009, 12:43 AM   #3
czfonz

looks like a 1.5"-2" group...not bad. I can do that at 25-30 FEET. 25yards is the entire length of the range...I can barely see that far. (so damn dark in there) Its difficult to even place a shot on the target at that distance. You just me feel like a lousy shot...but at the same time motivated me to practice more. I'm gonna go crank out some more ammo and head to the range.
Old June 7, 2009, 12:32 PM   #4
EdSky

Quote:
looks like a 1.5"-2" group...not bad. I can do that at 25-30 FEET. 25yards is the entire length of the range...I can barely see that far. (so damn dark in there) Its difficult to even place a shot on the target at that distance. You just me feel like a lousy shot...but at the same time motivated me to practice more. I'm gonna go crank out some more ammo and head to the range.
czfonz, I'm right there with you. At 10 yards I think I'm a pretty decent shot when with my 147 gr subsonic loads. At 25 yards the target is so small and my wobbles seem so large I don't even wait for the target to become acquired. I'd be just as well off shooting blindfolded!

Nice shooting, Sixer
Old June 7, 2009, 01:19 PM   #5
Dannyl

Good Shooting!

Hi,
Good shooting, very good loads and excellent choice of firearm.
BTW, testing of loads should be done from a rest, so that you eliminate the possibility of "'driver error" influencing the judgement of a load.

Good luck and have fun.

Danny
Old June 7, 2009, 03:17 PM   #6
rn22723

The P7 is very accurate gun.....and it takes a good operator....
Old June 7, 2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Sixer

Hey thanks guys! That P7 is a tack driver. At 25yds I couldn't even see where the shots were hitting... just tried to aim for the head and keep her as steady as possible.

I'm not mutch of a "target" shooter, but I definitely enjoyed seeing that I could work up a decent load. It's a whole different kind of satisfaction that you can only get from reloading your own ammo

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old June 7, 2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Winterhawk56

GREAT SHOOTING! "I am a terrible shot and most likely could not even graze the head of a sillouette off hand at 25yds" THE TARGET STATES OTHERWISE!
Shooting off hand takes practice and based on what you have shown it would not take much time before you became proficient.
Old June 7, 2009, 03:45 PM   #9
putteral

Well done! Reloading is the way to go. Wait till you try casting your own. Keeps getting better.
Old June 9, 2009, 12:37 AM   #10
Dimebag

25 yards!

Man that is quite some distance there man. I'm sure the old timers here can give you the clues you need to shrink that group. My thoughts: start closer to the target. Sweet HK by the way.
Old June 9, 2009, 01:00 AM   #11
djohn

Very nice shooting indeed and twenty five yrds is a longway when the eye site suffers.