The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 3, 2013, 08:00 PM   #1
prm

One of a kind Colt Paterson

Brought this one out of the deposit box for a photo shoot. I picked this one up in 2006 when Colt Black Powder Arms was liquidating all existing stock at their warehouse. I had a friend, a collector, who had been buying some of their sell out stock put me in touch with a factory rep. This one was in a safe and had a unique story attached to it. The rep I was dealing with told me there were no records as to why this barrel had the incorrect stampings. The run of Paterson(s) was only done for about six months prior to their closing. There were only around 300 of the belt Paterson(s) made. They were not offered in any catalog - but were listed in a brochure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8695.JPG (151.7 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8705.JPG (103.1 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (66.1 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by prm; August 4, 2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old August 3, 2013, 08:01 PM   #2
prm

A couple more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8701.JPG (157.2 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8682.jpg (184.3 KB, 103 views)
Old August 3, 2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Roshi

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful pistol!
Old August 3, 2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Beagle333

That is really neat!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 3, 2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

Way Cool
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old August 3, 2013, 10:58 PM   #6
Bill Akins

Beautiful. Being one of a kind like that, I bet it's worth a bundle.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old August 3, 2013, 11:36 PM   #7
prm

Bill,

It's actually been hard to get a price on. Several years ago I took it to the Colt Collector Show when it was in Louisville, KY, and had several look at it. No one really wanted to put a price on it. One collector said since it is a one of a kind gun, there are no previous sales to compare it to. It would basically be whatever the seller and buyer agreed on.

I did have a well known Custom Shop in vintage arms give me a written estimate of $4K for insurance purposes a few months back. Past that...It's the only safe queen I own. Just can't bring my self to turn the cylinder on this one, let alone shoot it.
Old August 4, 2013, 01:17 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Truly a beautiful piece.
Old August 4, 2013, 07:40 AM   #9
bedbugbilly

v\Very nice! Thanks for sharing with us!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 4, 2013, 09:58 AM   #10
PetahW

AFAIK, all the last generation "Colt" black powder revolvers were made by Uberti, then shipped unfinished to Colt for the final finishing & assembly - why most likely they're hard to assess for value.

Does one assess one of them as a Colt, an Uberti, or something else - like as a commemorative ?

Given the Colt letter, I lean toward assessing it as a Colt.

IMO, though, you're essentially correct - They're worth what somebody will pay for one.

Last edited by PetahW; August 4, 2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old August 4, 2013, 01:36 PM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
AFAIK, all the last generation "Colt" black powder revolvers were made by Uberti, then shipped unfinished to Colt for the final finishing & assembly - why most likely they're hard to assess for value.

Does one assess one of them as a Colt, an Uberti, or something else - like as a commemorative ?

Given the Colt letter, I lean toward assessing it as a Colt.
Those were the second gen Colts. The third gens were made by the Colt Black Powder Arms Co. who had no affiliation with Colt. They were made under license from Colt but Colt had no part in their manufacture. They didn't touch them, they didn't warranty them, they won't work on them and they won't letter them. The letter in the pic is from the Colt Black Powder Arms Co., not Colt
Old August 4, 2013, 05:45 PM   #12
PetahW

I wonder why the "Colt Black Powder Arms Co" was allowed to use the official, copyrighted, Colt logo with the letter C's rocker under "olt" ?

I know Coca-Cola never let anybody steal their logo w/o authorization - so, why would Colt ?

I smell a rat......................

Old August 4, 2013, 05:50 PM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
I wonder why the "Colt Black Powder Arms Co" was allowed to use the official, copyrighted, Colt logo with the letter C's rocker under "olt" ?
They paid Colt for the use of it. Uberti supplied parts for the 2nd gens and subcontracted ASM to furnish barrels. ASM got stuck with a lot of Colt marked barrels when production ended. ASM used those barrels on their own guns and Colt promptly sued them. If it wasn't all above board Colt would have sued.
Old August 5, 2013, 02:49 PM   #14
jlb43

I have two 3rd Gen Patersons. One is marked like yours and the other one has no barrel markings at all. I thought the one without the markings was the "unusual one". I really don't care because they are both beautiful guns and I LOVE Patersons.

By the way is the serial number higher or lower than 200?
Old August 5, 2013, 04:06 PM   #15
prm

mid-range...
Old August 5, 2013, 05:39 PM   #16
jlb43

I read once somewhere that the highest serial number they knew of was under 200. My unmarked gun is over 200. I always wondered how many were actually made. Probably never know for certain.

Yours is the only gun I have ever seen that was not engraved. Anyone else out there own one?
Old August 5, 2013, 05:58 PM   #17
prm

The collector that put me in touch with the rep I bought mine from, had the number at around 300 total. I've never seen that in print. Mine is mid-200s.
Old August 7, 2013, 05:02 PM   #18
Beagle333

Shoot... I'd take one that didn't even have a serial number!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 7, 2013, 05:21 PM   #19
jlb43

This is the only pic I have on photobucket of my girls.
Old August 7, 2013, 06:37 PM   #20
prm

jib43...Do you shoot them???
Old August 7, 2013, 11:42 PM   #21
jlb43

Never even had the urge. They are eye candy only. I have only one Paterson I have ever shot. It was no different than shooting an 1851 or any other 36 caliber. Actually I only shoot my SS Remmy and ROA. Less maintenance.
Old August 8, 2013, 06:16 AM   #22
Doc Hoy

I am kind of an odd accumulator...

When I started out in cap and Ball revolvers I had a mental image of the pistols I liked and they included, 1851 Pattern, 1860 Pattern, and us about any Remington. I didn't like the Walker until I stopped and took the time to handle one. Now I like them. Same with Dragoons, now I own three. (And want one more)

Starr, LeMat are two that I am only just now warming up to.

Paterson is one of the few BP revolvers I still just don't have any interest in owning.

The photos included are really nice. I recognize the value in the subject of the OP.

I am not disparaging the marque. Indeed I am disparaging myself for the way in which I accumulate revolvers.

I am impressed with the photos and maybe I should start thinking about a Starr, a LeMat AND a Paterson.
Old August 9, 2013, 09:55 AM   #23
DoubleDeuce 1

Beautiful photos of all the revolvers. The cased pair is great. I have an engraved Paterson. Maybe one day I'll get around to building a case for it. I have to admit, there is something about those Paterson revolvers that draws me to them.
Old August 14, 2013, 08:36 PM   #24
mwmjones

WOW what a nice piece
Old August 28, 2013, 10:17 AM   #25
bushmaster65

very, very nice...wouldn't be able to just let em sit though...gotta fire em if i got em...