The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 17, 2002, 03:46 PM   #1
SquirrelNuts

Components from gun shows

I will be ordering a RCBS Rockchucker tomorrow from Midway along with some brass, dies, and shell holder. I have been looking around locally for powder and primers as I do not want to pay $20 Hazmat fees. The Eastman's show comes once every two months or so, and I always see reloading vendors there. Do you find good deals on powder and primers (new stuff) at gun shows or is the $20 Hazmat fee worth it?

-SquirrelNuts
Old October 17, 2002, 04:08 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I buy almost all of my components, including cases, bullets, power, and primers, at gunshows.

The prices are good enough, with no hazmat fee, that it's well worth it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 17, 2002, 05:18 PM   #3
griz

Same here. No extra fee for powder and primers, no extra shipping for 40 pounds of bullets. Plus the UPS driver doesn't glare at me so much.
Old October 17, 2002, 05:27 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

I usually buy at gun shows - - -

Prices are better, no HazMat fees, and I can give vent to impulse buying!

If I know I need quite a few bullets and other heavy stuff, I bring along a collapsible luggage dolly and stash it at a friend's table. I go to the vendors and make my purchases, and they are usually happy to hold for a while. When I'm about ready to leave, I make my rounds, pick up my goodies, and leave. Saves wagging a buncha heavy stuff around the show with me. Also, I'd just as soon not carry several thousand primers in my back pack through several hours of the show.

Best,
Johnny
Old October 17, 2002, 06:01 PM   #5
kdubya

Sadly, the local fire department put an end to the sale of powder and primers at our gun shows. Said it was too great a fire hazard in case of a fire and that a fireman might be hurt.

Wonder what will happen to that fireman when the place catches fire and all the LOADED ammo sold there goes up!?
Old October 18, 2002, 08:28 AM   #6
Abe Normal

[Wonder what will happen to that fireman when the place catches fire and all the LOADED ammo sold there goes up!?]

kdubya,

Just about the same thing that would have happened if the place had all the powder and primersin there as well!

The NRA did a study several years ago about ammo and fires and found that it posed little additional danger in a house fire. This assumed that the ammo was not in a firearm! A loaded firearm in a fire will function (more times offten than not) as though someone had pulled the trigger. Further, a simi-auto firearm of all steel construction could possibly fire off the entire magazine one after another, or until it malfunctions.

Burning powder and popping primers in a gunshow on fire environment pose virtually no hazard grater than a hotter burning fire and Mom's old admonition that "that thing'll put your eye out if your not more careful"!

Sorry, but the Fire Marshal is being a D!@K and likely getting off flexing his political muscle.

If everyone thought like me, I'd be a damn fool to think any different!
Old October 18, 2002, 09:40 AM   #7
nyetter

I buy primers only at shows, local shops' prices are much higher. I tend to buy powder there too, as I can pretty much find whatever I want somewhere, at a reasonable price. There are even some reasonable deals on bullets, not great though.