The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 7, 2016, 12:27 PM   #1
cmdc

Opinions/recommendations RE: Vortex

Im looking at a Vortex Spitfire and a Vortex 1-6x Strike Eagle for possible use on my DD v11 that we have been discussing in another thread. Any input or other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old August 7, 2016, 02:06 PM   #2
raimius

I don't have those models, but my 3-15 seems to be doing well. Vortex has a pretty good reputation for customer service, if something should go wrong.
Old August 7, 2016, 03:14 PM   #3
Targa

Vortex seems to make good products....at least my Sparc II and Spitfire 3x are very good. If I had to do it again, I probably would have gone with the Strike Eagle over the Spitfire. I like the variable magnification with the 1x.
Old August 7, 2016, 06:08 PM   #4
OdinsRightHand

I concur with the previous posts. I have the SPARC II and my friends have various other optics (they are cheaper for AD military). They work flawlessly. Its hard to beat the pricing vs. quality. You actually get both with these products. I am extremely pleased with them.
Old August 7, 2016, 06:38 PM   #5
lunger

I also have the Sparc II . Trouble free and very happy with it.
Old August 8, 2016, 05:50 AM   #6
cmdc

Went to Cabela's yesterday and picked up a PST 1-4 as well as a Spitfire 1x. I'm not sure I like the reticle in the Spitfire. It consists of a 3MOA dot surrounded by a 6MOA ring, surrounded by a 3MOA ring. It is kind of busy for me. Any input on this reticle? I'm gonna play with it a little and see if I get used to it.
Old August 8, 2016, 09:29 AM   #7
kraigwy

I was looking for a moderate prices scope to try, thinking of the Leopold, Weaver or others.

Lady at the Gun Store showed me a Vortex. It looked good, she told me its guaranteed for life. I told her most scopes are. She said the difference was if it quit on my, instead of sending it back, I could just bring it back to the store for an exchanged.

I liked that idea. Bought it, put it on my Model 70 308 and used it in a Precision Rifle Match. I was impressed.

Now I have 5 Vortex scopes, a Vortex Red Dot and Vortex Binoculars. I haven't had to take any of them back to the store for replace me.

They are great moderately priced scopes. I've seen a lot of them at precision rifle matches.

I don't know about the one you are talking about except to say if its a Vortex, it will probably serve you well.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 8, 2016, 10:33 AM   #8
cmdc

I mounted the Spitfire on an AR, and after playing with it for an hour or so, I like it.