The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2005, 05:40 AM   #1
JosephC

Reloading 12g - 2 3/4 shells

How hard is it to reload 12g shells and what reloading presses would you recommend?.... Is the cost / benefit really worth the reload?.

Also can all empty shells be used or is it only a certain type of shell?. I use a lot of winchester ammo.

Joe...

Rem700VSSF - 223REM
Rossi Squire SBS - 12G
Henry 22LR - Lever Action
Beretta 87Target
Old July 24, 2005, 07:15 AM   #2
molonlabe

Having been a reloader for years the MEC 9000 reloader was the first progressive press I ever owned. I was impressed on how fast the shells spit out of the press. (one every pull of the handle) . Once set up which takes a few minutes you will sail through the reloading operation. In the beginning I reloaded cheap federal hulls but soon found the Winchester AA’s to be more repeatable as well as lasting longer. (They are also coveted by shotgun reloaders) I am currently using Remington Premier STS that are as strong or stronger than the AA’s. Each hull has it’s own specific charge/wad/and shot load combination as directed in the reloading manuals. If you are getting into trap it is well worth the investment as I have shot thousands of rounds but if this is for casual plinking I would stay with the wal-mart value paks.

I Don't want you in here period...Patricia Konie NOLA 2005
Old July 24, 2005, 07:35 AM   #3
willsjeep

Ifyou wouldlike to try reloading and see how you like it, look into buying a Lee Load-All. For starters, it is a very affodable press. (around $30-40 US) It is single stage so you can learn and watch each step. As you advance the MEC line is very High qaulity and you can get almost anything you want from single stage to progressive.
I started on (and still have) a Lee and never had any problems with it. The biggest thing is to follow the load book on the different type shells to insure a good crimp.
Good Luck
Will
Old July 24, 2005, 04:12 PM   #4
AAshooter

I am not sure what you have in mind as far as reloading. It is not difficult but requires equipment, knowledge and attention to detail.

In the US, it was difficult to get quality shells for less than $5.00 per box. You could reload for much cheaper . . . around $3.00 box. Now some of our large retailers in the US offer bulk packs of 100 shells for about $15.00. You can buy shells for less than that depending on the situation. Although these are not the best quality, they are pretty good. However, they are only available in some popular standard loads.

Due to this, many folks in the US are moving away from reloading shotgun shells. Many trapshooters I know have loaded for years are now buying the discount shells and not reloading.

If the economics are the same for you, I suggest people not get into reloading shot shells unless they meet one of the following:
* Need/Want specific load that is unavailable or expensive
* Don't place any value on their time
* Want to pursue it as a hobby

If you are trying to beat the price of the bulk packs and are satified with those shells, don't waste your time reloading unless you enjoy it.

Having said that, I have paid for my reloader many times over. If you are going to get into serious shooting (like trap), I suggest a fully progressive reloader from Ponsness-Warren or Dillion.

If possible, find a new friend at a gun club that reloads and spend some time with them. After doing it a few time you will have a lot better understanding.

Also, I might mention that the NRA offers reloading courses. I am not sure of the availibity of those for you but you might want to consider one. If nothing else, their materials are usually good.
Old July 25, 2005, 08:53 AM   #5
Ruger4570

In my opinion it is getting hard to save money loading the 12 and 20 guage shells. I have seen 12 guage AA and STS at Bass Pro for around $4.50 a box in flats. I still relaod for the 12 because I have the equipment and tons of components, but buy shells for registered shoots. If you shoot 16, 28 or 410 a lot, you can hardly afford NOT to reload, especially when the store bought are hovering around $7.00 a box. Good luck
Old July 25, 2005, 09:22 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've reloaded many thousands of 12 gauge shells on a Lee Load All. Total price for a ready to go loading machine is less than $50.

But, as others have noted, these days field shells are so cheap that even I'm not loading 12s much anymore.

If I ever get the 28 gauge that I want, I'll start reloading again.
Old July 25, 2005, 10:51 AM   #7
carpfisher

I did the math the other day and my reloaded shells are costing me $2.72 a box of 25.
The best deal I have found for factory just matches that cost. Federal has expanded its rebate program thru the End of the Year so i could have bought a flat of their shells at Cabelea's for $37.00 and sent in the $10.00 rebate. If I amortize the cost of the stamp over the 250 shells, it is pretty much a wash.
The thing that kicks the ball one way or the other is the cost of the reloader itself. If you step in to a new fully progressive machine your are qoing to drop at least $400.00 and as much as $800.00. The break even point of that expenditure is a pretty good ways down the road. I recently got a great deal on a Hornaday 366 Progresvie on Ebay after using a MEC 700 Single Stage for years. You just have to have patience.
I reload be cause I like to. I like to experiment with get the easiest shooting load that performs well. I just broke my first 25 at Trap with my own shells, (1oz., 17.5 gns 700x, 8's, AA hull) and the satifaction from that is greater due to using my own shells. I also tie my own flies, make my own holsters and belts, etc. I have even made my own boat, (12 wooden Mackenzie River Dory)! Sure, all these things can be purchased and the purchased items will work just fine. The satisfaction of using things I have created adds to the fun of the Outdoor sports.