The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 14, 2012, 05:18 PM   #1
hlds54

Appendix carry?

Thinking about carrying appendix, just wondering if anyone has experience with this please share. How safe is it? is it comfortable?

thanks
Old October 14, 2012, 06:01 PM   #2
CWKahrFan

It's the only IWB position that works for me but I have a fairly big belly and always wear untucked overhanging shirts. For me, it feels like the safest position 'cause it's right in front so it's easy to protect and natural and quick to pull up on. It's comfortable enough 'cause all my carry guns have 3.5" or shorter barrels with compact grips... Smallest being LCP, biggest being SR40c.
Old October 14, 2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

For what it is worth, IDPA doesn't allow it. One reason - no one wants to see that ND. Bad enough we get them in leg.
Old October 14, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Bob Wright

I assume that ND is Nasty Discharge?

Bob Wright
Old October 14, 2012, 08:35 PM   #5
MTSCMike

Actually the N is for Negligent, but Nasty works too in this case.

I have only known one guy who put a stripe down the right leg of his pants while trying to holster his sidearm with his booger picker still on the bang switch. He was in a stressful training situation (and a bit of an idiot anyway) and just got a bit rattled. I've heard of others. If that ever happens with appendix carry...well, you can just imagine the results.

And if you say "won't happen to me", and I hope you are right, just remember that under stress we will not necessarily do everything we are supposed to do. Appendix carry and other forms of carry that by their nature point the muzzle at your flesh or the flesh of others require extra attention and practice.
Old October 15, 2012, 07:08 AM   #6
Mobuck

Look at where the gun is pointed when sitting using that carry location. Lots of important (to most of us anyways) stuff AND the femoral arteries. If I'm going to shoot myself, I'd rather shoot myself in the butt cheek than the ,well you know. A pistol carried behind or on the hipbone is less likely to cause a life threatening unjury in case of an ND.
My Son showed me a set of internet pics of the results of a poor/wornout IWB holster design and a Glock. Fortunately, it was behind the hip and the guy only had some vehicle damage and a scrape on his butt. Had it been in front of the hipbone(appendix carry), it's a good chance the guy would have had serious injuries or worse.
Old October 15, 2012, 07:18 AM   #7
redstategunnut

I often carry AIWB. It is extremely fast from holster to on on target. AIWB is great concealment, provides superior retention, and comfortable for me. I don't care what IDPA rules are.
Old October 15, 2012, 08:33 AM   #8
Skadoosh

I have been carrying AIWB either a Colt Detective Special and a Sig P6 nearly everyday for nearly two decades. I am hesitant to carry a striker fired pistol this way...only because of the ND risk during reholstering.
Old October 15, 2012, 12:07 PM   #9
MK11

I like it a lot, very fast, very convenient, very comfortable. However, I limit my use to a Ruger SP101 or LCR. The full-size stuff still goes behind the hip.
Old October 15, 2012, 12:19 PM   #10
TheNocturnus

I carry my Kel Tec P3AT AIWB and I while I would hate for a ND or AD in that location, I believe I am safe enough to keep it there. Plus it is very concealed there and does not print at all.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old October 15, 2012, 12:21 PM   #11
Bob Wright

Quote:
I've heard of others. If that ever happens with appendix carry...well, you can just imagine the results
In that case it'd be Neutered Discharge?

Bob Wright
Old October 15, 2012, 12:29 PM   #12
kutz

Colt New Agent .45 @ 1:00 with Clip Draw.
Old October 15, 2012, 12:34 PM   #13
FireForged

I appendix a snub 38spcl on a regular basis. People worry about cocked and locked 1911's, some worry about striker fired pistols suddenly going off by themselves, others worry about being painted by a guy weaing a horozinal shoulder holster and now its ND appendix carry. All these worries have merit to a certain degree but to what degree?
Old October 15, 2012, 03:24 PM   #14
MTSCMike

To what degree? To the degree that the OP asked about safety concerns with AIWB and some of us expressed those concerns. If someone has an AD or ND while carrying AIWB it probably won't cause me any real pain or discomfort...other than a real sense of sympathy for the poor guy. Hey, somebody has to sing soprano in the church choir
Old October 16, 2012, 09:00 PM   #15
Deaf Smith

I use two carry guns, Glock sub-compact and S&W J .38 2 inchers.

Both can be appendix carried but the J is a bit easier if you have to bend over much.

Long barrels do not work well as they stick into, ahem, delicate places.

Make sure the IWB is THIN! A thin holster means less printing.

Deaf
Old October 16, 2012, 09:09 PM   #16
redstategunnut

I AIWB a Glock 17 or 19 often. No worries.
Old October 18, 2012, 01:40 AM   #17
scottycoyote

i usually carry that way, its comfortable for me and no problems to date. I carry a g27 with a clipdraw attached and secured by a mic holster, which cuts the possibility of a ND to nil.
Old October 18, 2012, 07:19 AM   #18
Dwight55

I much prefer IWB, 1911, between 3 and 4 o'clock, . . . or in a shoulder holster under my left arm pit.

I have carried, . . . it is safe, I believe, . . . my Colt DetSpec .38 at about 2 o'clock, . . . appendix carry, . . . it is very comfortable, easy access, does not interfere at all when driving.

The downside is for me, . . . I don't like a shirt hanging out over my belt. One of them things I picked up as a kid, . . . prefer shirt tucked in, . . . so I wear a vest a lot and / or a cover jacket of some sort.

AND that can make for haveing to be very careful if you are appendix carrying, . . . that you don't inadvertently brandish or give away you are carrying. Mostly when I do it, it is in the summer, I'm wearing a short sleeve polo shirt.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old October 18, 2012, 09:27 AM   #19
JNad

You asked for experiences and is it safe and is it comfortable.

I used to carry a snub and occasionally a Makarov appendix. Thus, first the positives: It was comfortable for me. I do find concealment was less of a concern, it was easy and it was in a place I could tell if my shirt was in a postion to potentially flash someone. Positioning in public to avoid exposing your weapon to potential BG was easy. I wouldn't carry anything I felt was unsafe anyway, so having it pointed in a bad direction was only of slight concern.

The negatives: a loaded gun is always pointed somewhere you REALLY don't want to have a bullet pass through. I know I said it was minimal concern, but I still thought about it - c'mon we are talking about a REALLY bad place to have a bullet pass through.

I stopped carrying there as I went to carrying a slightly larger CZ P-07. Now, I would never carry anywhere but behind the hip. It is far more comfortable for me in nearly every position, and it allows me to carry a larger piece which I shoot more accurately at every distance, which is tantamount to any downside. The only slight downside is non-chalontly assuming the "interview position" in public places.
Old October 19, 2012, 12:46 PM   #20
bikerbill

I've tried it and don't like it ... I find it takes me longer to draw than when my gun is either just at or behind my hip or carried cross-draw ... I don't have to deal with belly issues cause I'm kinda skinny; body type has to be taken into account when choosing a method of carry ...
Old October 19, 2012, 03:09 PM   #21
p loader

The topic of ND aside, I absolutely find it uncomfortable to appendix carry. Standing up it's fine but sitting down (to drive) or bending over the feeling of the gun jabbing into me is not one I like. Much more comfortable for me to IWB carry at 4 o'clock.

Just personal preference. I have a friend who carries a full size Sig appendix carry, I seriously don't know how he does it.
Old October 19, 2012, 03:14 PM   #22
Skadoosh

The right holster makes all the difference.
Old October 19, 2012, 06:19 PM   #23
p loader

He uses one of those flimsy $15 cloth ones with the clip on the outside.
Old October 19, 2012, 06:37 PM   #24
Sixer

I started off carrying a Glock 23 at about 1 o'clock in a cheap nylon holster... it was no way to carry a gun. I swore off appendix carry for a long time.

I started making holsters a while ago (shameless plug) and now make this style specifically for AIWB.

It's a thin bullhide that conceals well, is about as comfortable as you can expect for appendix CCW, and with the 2 belt loops, the holster and gun stay where you intend... no uncomfortable shifting or adjusting.

Just thought I'd share

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old October 20, 2012, 12:12 PM   #25
Nanuk

Part of the concern is in re-holstering. Never put your gun in the holster in a hurry. I carry a Glock 27 and a S&W 640 AIWB all the time. Part of it is gear, part is your build. If you have a big belly it likely will be uncomfortable.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Tags
appendix , bullets , carry , ccw , gun