The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 1, 2013, 12:54 AM   #1
NateKirk

Bullet Hardness

Now I know our revolvers have relatively soft parts compared to modern weapons, so I was wondering if using harder bullets would damage the barrel? Pure lead has a bhn of 5 whereas the wheel weights that I'm casting bullets with can be anywhere from 12 to 25 depending on how their cooled. Not entirely sure where this thread belongs so feel free to move it if necessary.

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old May 1, 2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

My thought is...

.....only after an awful lot of rounds would one notice a difference. And during that time, the other variables that impact barrel condition would so much muddy the waters that it would be difficult to pin barrel erosion upon one single factor.

In the very preliminary observations I have made, my .45-70 and .45LC carbine seem to like harder bullets (BHN13 - 14). But here is another example of how I allowed a second variable to have a mitigating effect. (Bullet size)
Old May 1, 2013, 05:05 PM   #3
pohill

In my experience, wheel weights are way too hard to load, and put too much pressure on the loading lever. I don't think wheel weight lead will hurt the barrel, though.
Old May 1, 2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Rigmarol

If loading harder lead such as wheel weight or remelted bullets made with wheel weights, the use of a cylinder loading press makes the job so much easier.

I do not trust the onboard loading lever to load hard lead, I'm afraid of busting it.

Even hard lead shouldn't hurt a steel barrel. I believe excessive use of a brass cleaning brush would cause more damage than a steady diet of hard cast lead bullets.

But could be wrong, I've been wrong before. (It's one of the few things I can do well... be wrong...)
Old May 1, 2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Beagle333

maybe not damaging the barrel itself.... but,

I agree that harder bullets put more strain on the loading system to squish em into the cylinder, and also that would reason that it would put more strain on the arbor/wedge for it to get squished (swaged) into the forcing cone to fit the lands and grooves when it is fired. I don't know about a Remmie, but most Colt clone owners already are careful of heavy loads creating extra force between the front and rear halves of the revolver, and the relationship of that to the eventual (almost unavoidable) stretching of the arbor, and so I think this might contribute to that.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:41 PM   #6
Newton24b

as been stated, the steel used for the barrels is teh same steel used to make the cartridge guns sold by these companies. as a result, harder lead is ok.

however, the structural connections arent up to the same lead hardness some people use with a keith type hard cast swc in their .500 mag for example.

its like taking a go cart and putting a small block v8 on it, itll fit but it wears things out soo much faster