The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 14, 2013, 08:27 PM   #1
SaxonPig

One of a kind handgun?

Something custom or incredibly scarce, maybe? A Frankengun, perhaps? Who has something very rare... or very weird? I have weird.

A 1970s Colt 22 Conversion Unit mounted on a Daly 1911 lower. Add personalized fake ivory stocks (scrimshawed and inset with a diamond) to complete the package. With the ribbed slide and "skeletonized" trigger it resembles a 22 Gold Cup. Took some doing but I finally got it to function properly. I would prefer a standard grip safety and hammer but these were on the lower when I got it.

Since it's part Daly and part Colt I call it "The Dolt."

Old August 14, 2013, 08:52 PM   #2
mrray13

I think the username I'm thinking of is Jim March, not for sure, but when whomever it is walks in here with that 14 shot, IIRC, magazine feed vaquero, or whatever that SAA clone is, he's gonna win. Just sayin....it's weird, rare, one of a kind.........

On that note, I have nothing of value to add to this topic, lol.
Old August 14, 2013, 09:05 PM   #3
sgms

Not one of a kind, but it is weird and rare. A LeMatt revolver 9 shot .42 cal. with a .63 caliber center line buckshot barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg php3v3bCNPM.jpg (78.4 KB, 74 views)
Old August 15, 2013, 01:02 PM   #4
DaleA

Quote:
Since it's part Daly and part Colt I call it "The Dolt."
Great!

Saxon- how is that conversion unit working for you?

I had one that was...odd. It functioned best with Remington standard velocity .22 ammo. The cheap, bargain lead nose .22 would lead up the floating chamber so that after 50 rounds or so you'd need a mallet to get the floating chamber off the barrel. Strangely the gun would still function fine with the floating chamber totally leaded up and unable to move. Regular copper washed .22 avoided the leading problem but didn't function as reliably as the Remington standard velocity. Accuracy with any ammo was poor but I admit that could have something to do with the .45 I was mounting it on, an older civilian Colt.

I read in the American Rifleman that a little careful polishing between the floating chamber and the barrel could eliminate the leading problem and I took it to a smith once but it still did the same thing on return so I now just (happily) shoot my Ruger Mark II.
Old August 20, 2013, 10:23 PM   #5
psyfly

I've only heard of one other like this one back when I was trying to get information about it and received one reply from a guy who said he had one and also, like myself, didn't know anything abut its provenance. I bought it in a pawn shop years ago and the proprietor had thought it was an odd .45.

It's a Peters-Stahl (German builder of custom 1911s) built 1911 in 10mm with an Essex frame, Springfield Armory slide, and Peters-Stahl linkless internals and micrometer sights. The individual parts are marked with Peters-Stahl logo and proofed by Ulm:

I'd still like some information on it, I tried to communicate with the Peters-Stahl people but never got a reply.

Will
Old August 20, 2013, 10:37 PM   #6
Wyosmith

How about hand made flintlocks?
No 2 are just alike.

Old August 21, 2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Bart Noir

Oh that is a beautiful flintlock!!!!

Please tell me it is rifled, and can accept lead balls of a size easily available.

Then I can scheme on how to buy it from you.

Bart Noir
Old August 21, 2013, 08:21 PM   #8
SIGSHR

I have a Mossberg/AIG Abilene, that was part of Mossberg's brief attempt to enter the hand gun market 30 or so years ago. The Abilene was originally made by U.S. Arms in Riverhead, Long Island,Mossberg took it over,IIRC Ruger claimed patent infringement. Only about 1,000 U.S. Arms marked Abilenes were made.
Old August 21, 2013, 08:32 PM   #9
SaxonPig

DaleA- After some fitting and fiddling it works fine. It is magazine sensitive and I have several that won't work right in it.
Old August 23, 2013, 12:48 PM   #10
DaleA

Conversion Unit magazines…might also apply to Walther magazines too.

Many, many years ago when I first got the conversion unit and was having problems finding extra magazines an older more experienced shooter explained the situation to me.

While the giant manufacturing factory produced the guns and conversion units the magazines were hand made in a shed out back of the plant by an old guy that had worked in the plant since he was 12 and nobody had the heart to force retirement on him. One day he dropped a magazine and then stepped on it and there has been one less magazine than gun ever since which accounts for magazine shortage and the excessive price on them.

He also explained to me how in Detroit they built a ’76 Oldsmobile Cutlass by hanging the heater fan switch on a string from the ceiling of the plant and then built the car around it - which meant that when the fan motor switch broke you had to disassemble the whole car to get at it to replace it.

He was a man of vast knowledge and experience.