The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2010, 04:57 PM   #1
engineermike

New used dies

Just got me a new used set of RCBS dies, made back in 1975. This is a three die set that came with a shell holder #6 and the dies are for 38 Special/ 357. Well, all the say is they are for a 38 Secial Wade Cutter (SWC) but I'm gonna load some flat nosed 38 Secial bullets anyway. The Model # is 18386, can someone tell me if they are steel or carbide steel? I got a full set of instructions in the box but I have not read them yet. Anyway, if someone knows anything about them would you pass the info on to me?

Mike
Old August 25, 2010, 05:17 PM   #2
dahermit

Look in the end of the size/decap die. If they are carbide, there will be a small ring in the opening of that die. That is all that is carbide in "Carbide Dies". If there is just a gentle taper into the mouth of the die (no carbide ring), the dies are just steel and you will need to use a case lubricant when you use them.
Old August 25, 2010, 06:54 PM   #3
aiming fluid

Mike,
I had an RCBS 38/357 set I bought new in 1982 and they were definately not carbide dies, but they did produce several thousand rounds of very good ammo. About a year ago I bought my first set of carbide pistol dies, and it was one of those "smack your forehead" moments when you realize just how much extra work you have to put into non-carbide sizing. When you don't have to mess with lubing the cases, and removing the lube, things go much smoother. New sets shouldn't set you back more than 40-50 bucks, should you decide to go that route.
Good Luck and enjoy!
Old August 25, 2010, 07:12 PM   #4
William T. Watts

Aiming fluid is absolutely dead on, my first pistol dies were steel, I never sized a case with the resizing die just went ahead and purchased a carbide sizer and never looked back. William