The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 26, 2005, 08:34 AM   #1
Buzzard

Checkering Tools

Can anyone suggest a place to buy used checkering tools, I want to try checkering and see if it is something I like but do not want to invest too much untill I know,
And for those who do checkering what would be the best and minimum tools I would need.
email [email protected]
Thanks
Old October 26, 2005, 11:24 AM   #2
DT Guy

It would help if you specified metal or wood checkering.

Brownells has some very reasonable wood checkering kits-metal checkering files tend to run a bit more.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old October 26, 2005, 12:30 PM   #3
cntryboy1289

buy new

The one thing you don't want to try to learn with is some used cutters. You need the cutter to be able to cut well and for you to learn correctly, the cutters need to be new. MidwayUSA and Brownells both have reasonably priced tool sets. Please don't skimp on the cutters, you wil be very dissapointed.

I would buy either the Miles Gilbert checkering set or the Gunline set, both in 18LPI.

Last edited by cntryboy1289; October 26, 2005 at 01:05 PM.
Old October 26, 2005, 03:49 PM   #4
Buzzard

tools

Looking in the Brownells catalog right now, would you recomend the Leader Set as a good beginer set, it claims to be a great starter set.
I would also like to try metal checkering....I have worked as a Goldsmith and jewelry maker so I do enjoy working with my hands.
Thanks
Old October 26, 2005, 10:34 PM   #5
cntryboy1289

Yes

For starting out with, yes. The Miles Gilbert set is also a very good starter set that includes a CD, coasters to practice with as well as a good set of cutters and handles. Make sure you start out using 18LPI or less as this will be course enough to look good, but not to fine that it will be so hard to learn with.
Old October 27, 2005, 07:24 PM   #6
Buzzard

New Tools

cntryboy, I showed your posts to my wife and she ok'ed the new set so I will get a Miles Gilbert set from Midway, they had best price I could find.
I am really looking forward to learning this new "Hobby" as I love to work with my hands and see the results as soon as I can.
Thanks all for the GREAT INPUT, this is what makes TFL such a great p0lace to visit.
Old October 27, 2005, 08:37 PM   #7
cntryboy1289

Good to hear

Ain't it swell having such a good wife. If she ok'd the tools, you might as well build yourself a checkering cradle as well. Check out the ones at Brownells and Midway and then see if you can build your own. A piece of 3" pipe with two junkyard connecting rods with a piece of 2 1/2" pvc with some innertube glued in it on the forearm end and then either a large center point on the other end will do nicely. If this doesn't make sense let me know and i can scan a pic of one so you will understand it. You don't have to spend a bunch of money to hold the stock, but you do need something to hold it where it can rotate while you do the work.

I have the same kit you are buying as well as a Gunline Premier set. I have used the Gunline set for quite a while, but I find the Miles Gilbert set has handles that fit my hand better and make them hurt a lot less after an hour of checkering.

I would also recommend that you get a good visor set with a 1 1/2x magnifyer and a good lamp that you can bend over close to the work so you cast the light across the work, will make it a lot easier to see without hurting the eyes with strain. Best of luck to you.