The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 10, 2012, 01:21 AM   #1
tahoe2

Nosler E-Tips or Accubond's?

Anybody tried em? Nosler's answer to Barnes bullets, solid copper with a Ballistic Tip, or Accubonds? which would you use and why?
Old November 10, 2012, 01:42 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Haven't tried the E-Tips. My first thought is copper fouling. That's why Barnes cuts the rings in their TSX bullets. Like I said, never used them but I'd be curious about that.
Old November 10, 2012, 04:20 AM   #3
dacaur

I have read in several places the reason some mfg's cut rings in their all copper bullets is to reduce bearing surface, since they are harder....

As for e-tips, I want to try them... I have read that you gun will either love them or hate them.... If they dont shoot well, dont keep trying, move on....
Old November 10, 2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Axelwik

I tried E-Tips in my 270 and they were okay. Groups were not quite as tight as jacketed lead bullets of the same weight, but they were certainly good enough for hunting (if you have to use lead-free bullets). They grouped a little higher on the paper.

When using load data Nosler recommends that you start at minimum and work your way up to mid-range data. Mid-range is considered max due to the longer bearing surface of lead-free bullets.

Last edited by Axelwik; November 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old November 10, 2012, 05:52 PM   #5
old roper

Nosler and Barnes have their own recommend seating depth which I think can be found on their sites plus max load for the E-Tips.

I've shot few of the 30 cal E-Tips 180gr,168gr and 150gr and one of my cow elk rifles 30-06 is set up for the 150gr E-Tip. I took my buck this year with 140gr TSX in a 270. I'm using the Accubond in custom 30-338mag,280AI,284 and 35 WhelenAI. I shot couple boxes of Barnes 225gr TSX in the whelen and that's my back up bullet in that rifle.

In a custom 300WSM I've been shooting the 168gr E-Tip along with the 168gr TSX,165gr TSX ,165gr Accubond and 165gr Rem CL bullet.

I don't get any more fouling using the E-Tip or Barnes bullets must of broke my barrels in right.
NRA Life Member
Old November 11, 2012, 02:04 PM   #6
snuffy

Well, the Nosler E-tip, AND the Hornady GMX ,(Guilding Metal eXpanding), Are NOT pure copper bullets.They are made of the same stuff as the jackets of lead cored bullets. So fouling is Not a concern.

But bullet LENGTH is. Because copper alloys like guilding metal are less dense, it HAS to be longer to be the same weight.

I don't "GET" why there's a bias against Hornady bullets. Or is it just my imagination? Everybody asks about Nosler or Barnes, never about Hornady---?!

Here's a couple of pics of the Hornady GMX that I ran through water filled gallon milk jugs.;

They'll work just as well as the nosler bullets. I'm NOT against nosler at all. I use a lot of their bullets. I may even get one of their rifles,(when I win the lottery)! I just always test Hornady first.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 11, 2012, 03:17 PM   #7
old roper

Snuffy, I honestly can't tell you why I never tried the Hornady GMX bullet as I shoot their standard bullets in couple rifles.

Lot of the guys I shoot with think I'm crazy to use the E-Tip and I get a pass on the Barnes as few use them.

Going to be interesting to see Nosler new LR Accubond bullet does

http://tacticalgunreview.com/blog/20...nge-accubonds/
NRA Life Member
Old November 11, 2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

A cursory glance at Hornady GMX (Hodgdon's actually) .243Win is pretty discouraging though. 80gr Barnes TTSX data averages around 3,400fps topping out at nearly 3,500. Hodgdon's GMX data is mostly in the 3,200fps range, with nothing over 3,320. I'd like to know which is more accurate but 200+ fps is a lot to give up. My starting loads with TTSX bullets are over max load speeds with the GMX.

Other cartridges may not be the same, I don't know.

I also note, as a first impression, that the Hornady bullets look to be typically the same weight range as conventional bullets of the caliber. One of the reason I like Barnes is because I like light, fast bullets, such as the 110gr 7mm TTSX. Hornady's only offering in 7mm is 139gr.

I must say though, those mushrooms are impressive.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; November 11, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old November 11, 2012, 04:20 PM   #9
hooligan1

I use the Accubond in three different weights in two different rifles, the down range performance is great as well as accuracy is great also. If you need an accurate bullet that has to stay together even at close range then look no farther than the Accubond. no I don't work for Nosler, but I should.

And Snuffy I like the looks of those Hornady bullets also, but it takes time and money, maybe next year.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:19 PM   #10
snuffy

Well, again every reply was about that nosler seems to have better bullets. Like the accu-bond is the ONLY bonded bullet to talk about. Ever hear of the Hornady interbond?

Weight retention was 85% for all those. Penetration was 3 gallon milk jugs
set end-to-end.

Thanks for the kudos.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 12, 2012, 04:03 AM   #11
stevelyn

Never used an E-tip, but I did knock over a wild beef cow on one of the nearby islands with an Accubond and recoved it from an off-side rib when butchering. I like the way they fly and the way they perform.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old November 12, 2012, 08:58 AM   #12
tahoe2

interbond in 8mm?

Nosler just happens to have a better selection in 8mm bullets than Hornady.
I will look at the GMX in 7mm though.