The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 30, 2010, 01:07 PM   #1
golfnutrlv

.303 British Bullet Question

Hello everyone. Any Enfield Reloaders out there?

What is the optimal bullet diamater for .303 british??? I have seen .310-.312 out there. Looking to reload for my Rifle No 5 Mk I.

The loads don't have to be match grade, just to shoot for fun, though I would like them to be reasonably accurate.

What weight do you recommend? I am shooting factory 174 gr right now with limited results, but it is cheap ammo.

Can anyone just get me started on picking a good bullet the Enfield?

Thank you,
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old May 30, 2010, 02:26 PM   #2
hammie

Your question prompted me to look through some catalogs, and you're right. There is a variation in bullet diameters for that caliber. It did seem that the .311 to .312 diameters were recommended for the enfields with the .310's being better suited for the 7.62x39mm or 7.62x54 mm rimmed. If I remember correctly the No. 5's were more prone to stringing or flyers, or not as inherently accurate as the other enfiled rifles and your "limited results" may be more a result of the rifle than that particular ammunition. One other thing to consider (and I'm just wildly speculating) is that the No 5 may like lighter bullets better, due to the decreased velocity of the shorter barrel, although I think the enfields have a fairly fast twist of 1 in 10 and they should stabilize heavier bullets, but who knows? I use a 150 grain, .312 hornady in my canadian long branch No. 4 and they work fine. Plus the lighter weight bullet may be a little easier on my shoulder. (Speaking of which, a lot of No.5 shooters replace the small, "iron" - rubber recoil pad with a larger and softer one.) The one reloading problem that I've always had with SMLE's is not the bullet diamter, but the short case life. I get case cracks on the second firing.
Old May 30, 2010, 03:02 PM   #3
golfnutrlv

hammie,

Thanks for the info. that's kind of what I was thinking. The 150 gr Hornady seems like a good choice, since I don't really care whether it's SP, FMJ or otherwise.

Yes, the number 5 is a kicker. Makes me think what the bigwigs over in britain were thinking about that "recoil pad". its more like recoil "Enhancer"

Also, FYI, Hornady's number 7 manual recommends that you only use neck sizer dies for .303 because of the short brass life. Might extend the life of the brass a little bit for you.

Thanks for the info
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old May 30, 2010, 03:22 PM   #4
hammie

Mr. golfnlutriv: Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it. When I re-size, I do try to adjust the die so that the shoulder is not set back. The problems seems to be that the chamber is so over sized, that nothing much helps. Maybe I should try to make a secondary shoulder prior to the first firing? I also have a pattern 14 enfield, and no problems with case life.

I really do love the .303 cartridge. I keep hearing rumors of ruger making their number 1 in .303, but so far nothing has appeared. Or, I keep hoping that remington will make a run of 700's in .303 for their classic series. One would think that the canadian/australian market would be enought to justify it.
Old May 30, 2010, 04:25 PM   #5
golfnutrlv

That would be awesome. I own a 700 in .308 win, and a modern .303 bolt gun might make it to my buy list, just for fun. The cartridge, while not as popular here in the US, is certainly capable of taking any game animal here in the US, not really great for bear, but deer, elk, small moose, etc.

Enjoy!!
Old June 1, 2010, 08:13 AM   #6
CowTowner

I use .311 for my No.4 Mk1, and my No.4 Mk1* Longbranch.
I have been using Sierra 150 gr and 180 gr bullets.
Both guns shot them just fine.
I have, but have not yet tried, the Sierra 125 Gr bullet which is also .311.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy