The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 28, 2010, 10:13 PM   #1
jpdavis423

Soft .40 load

I realize that "soft" and "light" may not be the most requested .40 &W mag. loads, but I wonder if someone has a load like this to recommend. I just finished about 50 of 165 gr. plated round nose rounds with 4.8 gr of Bullseye and another 50 with 4.8 gr of 231. They were fine but I would like to get softer. Iwonder how low a charge I can get before my Glock stops cycling?
I need to buy some more bullets but I would like to get some suggestions before placing an order.

Jeff
Old May 29, 2010, 12:14 AM   #2
Jim243

Jeff

That's really up to your Glock and if it is new or has seen 500 rounds through it. I personally would not go below the published starting load. As your gun breaks in it will handle lighter loads, but to be perfectly frank the 40 is not what I would consider a light recoiling caliber to start with. Your accuracy will fall off as you reduce your load. I tried using lighter bullets 155 gr JHP and my results sucked. I am using 165 gr JHP and it seem a little better but not as accurate as 180 grain HPs.

This is one of those just keep praticing and your results will get better over time as the gun and you get broken in.

Jim
Old May 29, 2010, 12:24 AM   #3
DocAitch

light .40

Sometimes a slower powder may produce less perceived recoil as well. I use WSF and my subjective impression is that it feels smoother. My working hypothesis is that the slower powder gives a prolonged push while the faster powder produces more of a "punch". I am also under the impression that certain powders such as TiteGroup and American Select are "snappier". I shoot a lot of W231 but not in .40, I have no experience with Bullseye.
DocAitch
Old May 29, 2010, 07:03 AM   #4
jpdavis423

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll get some heavier bullets and start reducing the powder until it doesn't cycle reliably.
Then I'll know my limit.

Jeff