The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 26, 2007, 07:49 AM   #1
remjeep75

maine deer hunting

I am looking to go deer hunting in maine in the upcoming fall. Does anybody have any recomendations on which outfitter to use? Or what area of maine has a high success rate? basically any general info that i should know before i go would be helpful
Old May 27, 2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Glenn Bartley

I took my son up to Maine last year on the early Bear hunt. It was his first big game hunt, and he got a Bear on the second day of the hunt (if I remember right). The outfitter we used was excellent (and I would sday so even if we did not get a bear). People who hunted with them previously and had gotten skunked on the eartlier trip, yet they came back to them again when we were there. That says something good about the guide service for sure.

The guide service we used was: http://www.fifteenmilestream.com/, and our hosts were Shane and Rachel. They were great. We stayed at the Black Arrow lodge in Eustis, which they lease for bear hunts, but they have their own place elsewhere in Maine for deer hunts, I think near Augusta (but check their web site). Good people, great service, good home cooked meals, very affordable - we had a fine time. It was THE best hunt of my life, and I did not even hunt, I just accompanied my son while he hunted (and I got a very discounted rate for myself because i did not hunt).

I would imagine their deer hunts would be as good or better. I recommend them highly.

All the best,
Glenn B
Old May 30, 2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Fat White Boy

Hey Glenn- Do you still post on Kim's forum? Markwm
Old June 5, 2007, 11:01 AM   #4
Nevertoomanyguns

Maine hunting warning several pictures.

Hey Rem I live in Maine. Just stay away from Washington County. Our success rate is lower but we grow big ones. If you see a few deer each season you've done good. I shot a 213 lbs 10 pointer last fall and my father got fifth place for heaviest buck it was 260 lbs 8 true points-10 total points. If you stay to the east and southern Maine the success rates go up a lot of smaller bucks but still some big ones. Lot of posted land that way though but you will have an guide so that won't be a problem. I only hunt in Washington county I like all of the open public land and big woods. The is a guide service near Amherst. I hunted there before they bought all of the land up and posted it saw 15 deer just walking logging roads. 4 of those were bucks, no shot. Just remember its not about the kill. The hunt and spending time with your son is what it is all about. Trust me you will have a great hunt no matter where you go the is a lot to see in Maine and other wildlife will keep you occupied too. Good luck.

This is what I look forward to next fall.

Old June 5, 2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Nevertoomanyguns

Here are the rest