The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 1, 2014, 08:32 AM   #1
olmountain

Bequests in support of 2nd Amendment

I'm in the process of updating my will, and wonder if the forum has advice about what organization would best use a bequest to support the Second Amendment. I have not been active in the firearms community, so I don't know if my first thought, the NRA, is best. I'm specifically interested in contributing to legislation, not to hunting, target shooting, history, etc., but I believe bequests to NRA can be earmarked for particular purposes.

Hope this doesn't stir up too much of a hornet's nest.
Old January 1, 2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

For legislation, I'd look into the NRA-Institute for Legislative Action..
Old January 1, 2014, 09:49 AM   #3
shortwave

+1 for the NRA-ILA.
Old January 1, 2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I would look first at the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF), since they are the ones behind most of the successful lawsuits recently. Second choice would be the aforementioned NRA-ILA. Better yet, leave some money to both.
Old January 1, 2014, 11:45 AM   #5
JimDandy

"The NRA" isn't one thing. As people have mentioned with the NRA-ILA, there's something like a half dozen NRA arms. ILA is the Institute for Legislative Action- I believe the lobbying arm, The NRA-PVF (Political Victory Fund- I think donations to candidates) and others I can't recall, but they all do different altruistic things- getting women involved in the sport, supporting college and high school teams, and so on.

The Second Amendment Foundation is similar to the ACLU with a firearms bent-primarily suing on behalf of clients over second amendment rights. I believe they did Moore v Madigan for example, that forced Illinois to join the other 49 states in enacting a concealed carry law.

The NSSF or National Shooting Sports Foundation is a trade lobby, and primarily works with/for the manufacturers.

There are other smaller ones, especially when you get to the fairly local level, like CalGuns, or a state association, but the NRA and SAF are the big two for us "hobbyists".

Edit to Add: I wouldn't be quick to rule out sending money to the Scholastic area, either. If more kids letter in trap, and go to college on a rifle shooting scholarship, etc. we get more shooters, and more people involved, emotionally invested in the right. It can only be estimated, but the current estimate is that only 1 in 3 people/households have a firearm. That number is shrinking over time.
Old January 1, 2014, 12:01 PM   #6
Pahoo

Include the SAF !!

Quote:
I would look first at the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF),
Absolutely, or you could do a split but at any rate, include the SAF !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old January 2, 2014, 07:06 PM   #7
scpapa

I am a member of the NRA, but I send my extra money to SAF. They are on the leading edge of regaining our 2nd A rights.

Rick
Member IALEFI, SCLEOA
Old January 16, 2014, 09:44 PM   #8
olmountain

Belated thank you to all who replied. The SAF was the alternative I was thinking of, but the suggestion that the NRA-ILA and the SAF both be considered was good.

Again, my apologies for not responding sooner.
Old January 17, 2014, 09:05 PM   #9
g.willikers

Don't forget your state gun rights organizations.