The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 7, 2009, 01:34 PM   #1
hardluk1

Sleeping hunters

After read a post below about how close have game been from you. How many of you have heard yourself snore and when you opened your eyes from your little nappy time had a deer or several deer at 10' or less all look'n at you. Always figured mom deer was teaching here younger deer how to spot hunters in trees...
Old April 7, 2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Dingoboyx

It might be an idea then.....

To make a blow call that sounds like a big fat guy snoring? (like Harry, on Harry & the hendersons) You'd have shootloads of wildlife lookin' at each other, sayin' [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] is that?

Reminds me of when you go to a dairy farm, you walk near the cows and (check for cow pies first) then fall over like you are dead or something..... then wait.....

The cows cant resist coming up sniffin' and checkin' you out, to see what happened

It's a blast.... try it (just make sure theres no BULLs in the paddoc.... you might get more than you bargained for)
Old April 7, 2009, 02:14 PM   #3
madmo44mag

Maybe a little off topic here but once early in a tree stand about 4:30 in the morning I dozed off. A short time latter I awoke to a tickle at my nose.
With out opening my eyes I scratched my noise, the next thing I felt was something scurry across my lap.
I opened my eyes and sitting on the edge of the blind is a raccoon.
We stared at each other a good 30 seconds and he leaped across my head and up the tree - gone, just like that.
I just sat there kinda dazed for a minute or two.
Old April 7, 2009, 05:33 PM   #4
fisherman66

I woke up with a gaggle of hen turkeys stepping over my legs.
Old April 7, 2009, 05:49 PM   #5
freakintoguns

ive fallen sleep fishing before, woke up to feeling my new pole gettign yanked out of my hands and falling into the lake
Old April 7, 2009, 06:31 PM   #6
hardluk1

The raccon, lucky you sleep lite ,he would have take'n everting be fore it was over. had squarels to but it's the darn deer . They don't know what it am all como'd out and not smell'n bet just know that tree's don't snore. Had many deer that i watched sleep around me but it's always the other way that just gets me. Just so long as i don't get poked.
Freakntoguns hope it wasn't a good pole.
Turkeys ? dam you make a good almost hunter ,that is doing something to have turkey walk on you.
Old April 7, 2009, 06:36 PM   #7
freakintoguns

thankfully it wasnt too ixpensive 20 dollar rig from wally world, but still sucked
Old April 7, 2009, 07:22 PM   #8
jmr40

I,ve had deer, bobcats, and squirrels within 1-2 feet of me on several occasions.

Had a squirrel actually place its front feet on the toe of my boot once when deer hunting.

Once when deer hunting on a very cold windy day I followed a game trail into a thick briar patch in the sun to warm up and get out of the wind while eating lunch. Because of the wind and thick brush I neither heard or saw the doe and fawn until they nearly ran over me. The doe's nose was less than 3' from my face before we saw each other.

Walking into the woods to a beaver pond to duck hunt one morning I caught a glimpse of something move in the brush less than a foot from my right leg. It ran across the trail behind me and I never saw what it was. My brother, walking about 10' behind me said it was a bobcat. It was a perfectly clear morning with a full moon so we were not using lights. I suspect the bobcat heard us, thought we were a deer or turkey and set up an ambush. When we got close enough to identify it ran off.
Old April 7, 2009, 09:50 PM   #9
crowbeaner

Some of the guys I hunted with used to call me Rip Van Winkle; you figure out why. I had a pair of chipmunks run up my pants leg one day and one told the other "Lets eat one now and save the other for later". No more nippy naps for this old reprobate!
Old April 7, 2009, 09:58 PM   #10
fisherman66

Old April 8, 2009, 08:37 AM   #11
YARDDOG(1)

I was bow hunting about 1:30 pm & saw couple of dose walking a little out of (my) range & run back down the trail where they came from 3-4 times so as they eased back I tried &took a shot, Clean miss, So I climb down & see where they where heading & I saw Daddy streched out on the ground, Snoaring Brought back old memories
Old April 8, 2009, 02:11 PM   #12
Inspector3711

Here goes... 1980... Blue Mountains, Eastern oregon, elk season. Dad and Grandpa position me under a small pine tree at the top of a draw. It's 20 below that morning and I didn't sleep well as I wasn't quite equipped for temps that low. The other guys went around the base of the slope to make a drive up the draw.

Bozo (me) falls asleep on the job. Next thing I know Grandpa is shaking me awake while cussing profusely. There are dozens of tracks, some of which were imprinted on my boot prints. The herd had passed 30 feet or so directly in front of me. I was 15 then and missed a golden opportunity at a nice bull.

I hunted there for two more years and never did see an elk during season.
Old April 8, 2009, 04:42 PM   #13
kwells6

I dozed off once when I was 12, only to wake and see a HUGE tree rat chewing on the sole of my boot. needless to say, we had tree rat and dumplings at deer camp that night
Old April 8, 2009, 06:54 PM   #14
hardluk1

It really is good to see theres other as goofy as me some times in the woods. Dam it can get hard after all these years to keep a focus for 13 or 14 hours a day. I built a climbing stand some years back just because of nappy time ,didn't feel good in most ,felt i could fall out so i built a light aluminum one thats not as comfy and has higher side but you never know. I have not fell out of it. Wonder how many monster deer walked by during all those naps.
Old April 8, 2009, 07:50 PM   #15
longrange08

yup i snore

where me and my buddie hunt we unfortunatly have to sleep close to where we hunt. well we go to sleep and my snoring woke up my buddie. whats funny is my snoring had called in a buck who was having a grunt off with me in between snores. he says this went on for 15 min or so and my buddie the a**hole he is didnt even wake me up because he was enjoying the show too much of couse the only question i had was why didnt he shoot lol maybe i SHOULD start falling asleep in my stand
Old April 8, 2009, 09:14 PM   #16
Swampghost

As a kid (16) I was cooking some weenies over an open fire for lunch. Looked up and there was a panther not less than 10 ft. away. I could have easily been HIS lunch. We stared at each other for about 30 seconds and he parted company. Pretty hairy, I never heard a sound.

About the same age in a sleeping bag. I'd had a few drinks and was sleeping soundly on a cold night when a diamondback also was seeking warmth and slithered into the bag with me. I woke up about 4 AM having to pee and felt the sucker. He didn't leave until around 9 AM and I REALLY did have to pee!

Needless to say I don't sleep hard when hunting. I'm dialed in.
Old April 8, 2009, 09:57 PM   #17
Fat White Boy

I was pig hunting on the Tejon Ranch about 25 miles North of Los Angeles. I was side hilling along a cattle trail when a cow elk walked out of a thicket about 15 feet below me. I let her get past me and whistled. Damn! Elk are fast!!!
Old April 8, 2009, 10:05 PM   #18
Nnobby45

I'd never be caught with my pants down like that, but I know a fellow who woke up in his goose blind and there were geese walking around in the dekes munching on grass.
Old April 11, 2009, 12:41 PM   #19
sc928porsche

Took two weeks to get a camp doe close enough to wake up with her resting in front of the tent door in the mornings. Amazing what a little bit of feed will do.
Old April 11, 2009, 08:41 PM   #20
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

One of our older-guy hunters used to sit in his car near a stock tank, waiting for a fat little si-pointer to show up. We went to check on him one day, as he was behind schedule returning to camp for lunch as was his habit.

He'd gone to sleep. His car was surrounded by turkey hens, with four or five on top...

Many a time I've sat on a hillside leaned back against a rock or tree, and fallen into what's called a "hunter's doze". Not really asleep; just sorta checking your eyelids for leaks. I'd rouse and out in front, some fifty to a hundred yards, I'd see a buck.
Old April 12, 2009, 10:31 AM   #21
hardluk1

Think we could put together a short book of dumd hunter stories to sell. You know ever hunter around has done something foolish to write about. I have had more than my share.