The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 11, 2006, 07:22 PM   #1
Indrid Cold

Optics?

So I'm looking for good short-medium range optics and I have a few in mind but I'd like opinions on them.

Leupold Mark 4 CQT
Aimpoint COMP M3/ML3
Trijicon ACOG

Also, any idea what the optic is on the splash page of Springfield Armory's rifle page?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-rifles.shtml

Thanks!

Sun-tzu, The Art of War
Old December 11, 2006, 07:27 PM   #2
Troponin

I have been looking through ALOT of scopes in the last several months and I keep finding myself liking the Nikon more and more. It's such a high quality scope for a fraction of the cost of many of the others with equal clarity.

Stick with the Monarch and Monarch Gold, possibly even a tactical if you want to go all out, and you will have yourself a really nice scope. If you need to save some money, the Buck Master is a good bang for the buck, no pun intended.

I think Leupold makes a nice scope too, but for the money, I just can't see the quality difference to pay the money.
Old December 11, 2006, 07:48 PM   #3
VaughnT

Of the three, I think you would be best served by the Leupy.

Reasoning: All of the optics listed are Tier One. They are proven to be durable, reliable, accurate and have the requisite coolness factor.

Of the three, only the Leupy has an adjustable power feature that lets you go from 1x to 3x. Only the Leupy comes with a mount.

If you buy an ACOG or M3, you'll also have to invest in a good mount (Larue). There's no sense in buying a top-shelf optic and cheap chinese mount, so buy the best there is.

If you buy an ACOG, you can buy either a 1x or a magnified, but you can't have both in one.

If you buy an M3, you get a true 1x but have to buy a 3x magnifier and mount seperately if you want to see down a long range.

With the Leaupold, you have a 1x and a 2x and a 3x, and an integral mount, and an illuminated reticle.

Just my thoughts. I don't have any of them.
Old December 11, 2006, 07:57 PM   #4
Indrid Cold

Alright, I'll take that into consideration . On the subject of mounts, what do you call the type of mounts that allow you to flip an optic out of the way while still having it attached to the rifle?

Here's an image (Taken from Shadow6's post in the NFA forum)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...5/IMG_5102.jpg

Thanks again for the input

Sun-tzu, The Art of War
Old December 12, 2006, 12:01 AM   #5
LAK Supply

Eotech also makes a great one. . .
Old December 12, 2006, 11:08 PM   #6
VaughnT

That's a quick-flip mount made by Samson Mfg.

Just caught a blurb on arfcom that Leupy is coming out with a 1x-4x scope that's 'normal' looking compared to the CQ/T and still offers an illuminated reticle. This would allow you to choose the mount of your choice.

I'm seriously considering it....
Old December 13, 2006, 01:05 AM   #7
Indrid Cold

Awesome, thanks VaughnT! I took a look at Trijicon ACOG scopes the other day and was unpleasantly surprised by the price... Are they worth it though?

Sun-tzu, The Art of War
Old December 13, 2006, 05:51 PM   #8
VaughnT

ACOGs are relatively bulletproof and the reticle gives you ranging capabilities without compromising close-range combat effectiveness or long-range precision. It doesn't require batteries and has been proven to last in harsh wartime conditions.

Is it worth it to you? That's another question. Are you going to ever put that much wear and tear on your scope? Are you jumping out of airplanes or kicking in doors on a regular basis?

If you needs don't require that level of durability, you might be better served by a lower-priced optic like the aforementioned, yet to be released, Leupold.

There are a lot of things to weigh, and it can seem a bit of a pain when shopping for the right glass. Take your time, do a ton of research, try to find something that has X scope and handle their rifle to see how it feels.
Old December 25, 2006, 07:01 AM   #9
BigV

Quote:
Of the three, I think you would be best served by the Leupy.

Reasoning: All of the optics listed are Tier One. They are proven to be durable, reliable, accurate and have the requisite coolness factor.

Of the three, only the Leupy has an adjustable power feature that lets you go from 1x to 3x. Only the Leupy comes with a mount.

If you buy an ACOG or M3, you'll also have to invest in a good mount (Larue). There's no sense in buying a top-shelf optic and cheap chinese mount, so buy the best there is.

If you buy an ACOG, you can buy either a 1x or a magnified, but you can't have both in one.

If you buy an M3, you get a true 1x but have to buy a 3x magnifier and mount seperately if you want to see down a long range.

With the Leaupold, you have a 1x and a 2x and a 3x, and an integral mount, and an illuminated reticle.

Just my thoughts. I don't have any of them.
Don’t forget the Lifetime Warranty on Leupold scopes…
I have had many scopes in the last 30 years and have finally figure out that you get what you pay for. I have thrown out a half dozen scopes in the past because of cracked lenses, broken recitals or bad seals. I have sent back 2 Leupold scopes in the last 25 years and when I got them back, they were in like new condition. Leupold customer service and their lifetime warranty makes them worth the extra $$. That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it…
Old December 26, 2006, 02:18 PM   #10
Wildalaska

I use the TA 31RCO which is really not "designed" for CQB...however an Afghanistan vet showed me how they used thiers for CQB and I am sold on that as the best overall optic for an AR especially in light of its 1-300 yard versatility.

The Marines think so too.

WildandhardtogetimayaddAlaska
Old December 26, 2006, 11:24 PM   #11
OSU_good_ol_boy_33

Wild Alaska, which is the TA 31RCO, i dont know if i have ever seen that ACOG, i am trying to pick which acog I want to mount onto my Stag Arms M4 style rifle. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know as i will be making a post about the question. Thanks
Old December 27, 2006, 12:45 PM   #12
Wildalaska

The TA31RCO...is the TA31RCO

4x with chevron, BAC, ranging and fiber optic

WildevenicantgetasteadysupplyAlaska
Old December 28, 2006, 08:55 PM   #13
Zak Smith

Define mission first.

0-200 yards- 1x red dot: Aimpoint M3 is the best fighing dot right now. Batteries last forever, much better human interface than EOTech.

100-450 yards: The most durable and versatile choice is the TA11 ACOG. The TA11 is 3.5x and has longer and more flexible eye relief than the TA01/31 series. This is a huge advantage when shooting on the move, fast, or from improvised positions. Other magnified chioces include the low power variables like the S&B Short Dot, and the Trijicon Accupoint. These two classes of magnified optics dominate 3Gun/Multi-Gun competition when there will be targets at 200-450 yards.

If you want LR performance, you need something with 6-10x magnification on the high end (e.g. 3-9, 3.5-10x, 3-12x), and a "tactical" style elevation knob. http://demigod.org/optics for details

-z