The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 20, 2006, 03:06 AM   #1
Jseime

Stellar Weekend

I just got back to school from an amazing weekend. Saturday i slept till noon went for a little drive and filled both my antlerless mule deer tags with two shots dropped a coyote and went in to town to hang up my field dressed deer at my cousins house. I saw another herd on the way in to town and grabbed two of my cousins who also took a deer each.

Everything worked on this particular hunt. My new Ruger .270 functioned flawlessly and took down a big doe with a single shot at 300 yards like she got hit by a truck.

After all the deer had been dealt with i took off home slept till noon and then took out my new Mossberg model 500 for a spin. What a weekend.
Old November 20, 2006, 02:48 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

Outfreakinstanding. 6 big Canada deer, a yote, and a range trip! Thumbs up! I myself got 2 deer opening day of rifle; tagged out Sat morning 11:30 am. Took most of the weekend getting them out and butchered though.
Old November 21, 2006, 12:54 AM   #3
Death from Afar

What do you guys mean by your "tag"? I guess that is part of your licence?
Old November 21, 2006, 12:59 AM   #4
Fat White Boy

In most places, you buy a hunting license, then you buy "Tags" for the type of animal you wish to hunt. Deer, elk, antelope, etc., require a tag in most states. States that have more hunters than tags have drawings for the right to hunt in selected game management areas. In some places it is easy to get tags, in others, it is very complicated.
Old November 22, 2006, 01:36 PM   #5
Jseime

Yeah, our tags in Saskatchewan are three seals that you put on the deer after you shoot it.

There is a head seal (for the ear)
A Hide seal (for the skin)
And a Meat seal (to put in the ribs)

The actual license is a little sticker that you put on your habitat certificate an together the habitat certificate and the tags are what you need to shoot deer.

P.S. I just had some backstrap out of the first deer I shot and oh my goodness did i miss deer when i was out of it.