The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 17, 2012, 12:26 PM   #1
spacecoast

Pro-gun rally in DC

Here's an encouraging sign, young people willing to protest in DC for the right to carry...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-dc-city-hall/
Old August 17, 2012, 02:17 PM   #2
cannonfire

Wow I didn't know DC was on track to have the lowest homicide rate in 40 years! I guess all of the reported crime in DC is just a conspiracy!

I'm glad to see my generation getting involved in demonstrations like this, even if they are small scale.
Old August 17, 2012, 03:02 PM   #3
jimpeel

Quote:
“States with the lax gun laws and higher gun ownership rates have the highest per capita number of gun related deaths. The District is currently on pace to have the lowest homicide rate it’s had in over 40 years; our laws are working.”
He thinks that it is the anti-firearms laws which are lowering the homicide rate; but can't see the relationship of the Heller decision and that decrease.

His assertion that “States with the lax gun laws and higher gun ownership rates have the highest per capita number of gun related deaths." is simply a fallacy wrapped in a fantasy.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old August 17, 2012, 03:59 PM   #4
BarryLee

Quote:
the lowest homicide rate it’s had in over 40 years; our laws are working
I suspect there are a lot of things contributing to this other than gun laws. For instance what impact has improved first responder medical care and hospital trauma centers had on the numbers? Also, are crimes that were once classified as homicide now falling under a different category?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman